|Maine Multicultural Center is seeking a highly motivated individual who will serve as an AmeriCorps/ VISTA Member from July 2021 to July 2022 to help expand our Services Committee outreach efforts to newly arrived immigrants in Greater Bangor. During this time of COVID-19, you will also help the team serving immigrants navigate these difficult times. The Member will work out of the MMCC workspace located at the Eastern Maine Development Corporation’s office at 80 Harlow Street in Downtown Bangor.
- Work with MMCC’s volunteer Board of Directors to expand the MMCC Services Committee’s ability to provide New Mainers and immigrants the services they need to fully integrate into life in Greater Bangor and feel welcome. The MMCC Services Committee is the precursor to our establishing a formal Immigrant Welcome Center with paid staff and formal programs available.
- Work with MMCC’s volunteer Board of Directors and Community Partners to address workforce development and housing needs of immigrants new to the Greater Bangor area.
- Assist the Education Committee in organizing and better promoting events for the public around awareness of diversity and for local teachers on diversity in the classroom, particularly online events.
- As needed: assist our teams and partners as they help immigrants navigate and recover from this difficult time during COVID-19.
The candidate should have the following background and interests:
- International studies, social services, immigration law, equity and inclusion (income, racial, gender, religious), economic development and immigration.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to MMCC’s mission to serve immigrants and diverse populations.
- Outstanding attention to detail with strong organizational, analytical, logical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Sound time management and organizational skills, with an ability to coordinate complex activities and prioritize conflicting demands and deadlines.
- Computer proficiency and experience, including database management, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software.
There is a biweekly stipend of $513.94 paid by VISTA. At the end of the Member’s term of service, US citizens can choose a $6000 education award or $1800 end-of-service cash stipend. US nationals, individuals with permanent residency status, refugees, asylees and DACA recipients may choose the $1800 end-of-service cash stipend.
A full job description is available at the MMCC Website:
Please send a resumé with a simple email message of 1-2 paragraphs on your interest in the position to Pamela Proulx-Curry, mmccBangor@gmail.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Maine Multicultural Center (MMCC) description:
The MMCC is a volunteer-based nonprofit formed in 2017 to help make Bangor a welcoming place for all. We are
a network of educational, business, and cultural stakeholders designed to promote community and economic growth by attracting, retaining, supporting and integrating people of diverse cultures and backgrounds to the greater Bangor community.
To learn more about AmeriCorps/VISTA, visit Maine’s sponsor organization, Goodwill Northern New England: