Message from Robert Dana, Dean of Students
If you are participating in phase six COVID-19 testing on campus that involves the saliva-based Shield T3, it is necessary to download and set up the Safer Community app by Rokmetro, available for free through the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. For each person, the app creates a unique QR code that will be scanned at testing checkout and will be used to report test results (found under “View Health History” button on the app).
Anyone who does not have smartphone technology available will be assisted at the test site.
Please have the app available on your smartphone for your first appointment. The University of Maine System has a step-by-step user’s guide available. UMaine testing appointments for those participating in testing in Orono will receive scheduling emails with an attached ticket.
During the first two weeks of phase six testing, Shield T3 test results are expected within 72 hours of testing; by mid-February, test results are anticipated to report within 24 hours.
Use your @maine.edu email address and password to sign into the Safer Community app.
For University of Maine System IT assistance with the app, go online.
Please remember to:
- Wear your face covering and maintain social distancing.
- Bring your cell phone with the Safer Community app downloaded. (See instructions above.)
- Bring your appointment ticket, either on your phone or printed.
- Bring your MaineCard.
- Bring this form, filled out, to your first appointment (only if no smartphone capability available to you).
- Do not eat, drink or smoke, chew gum, brush your teeth or use mouthwash within an hour of your test. Clear saliva samples are required. Samples can’t be discolored, cloudy or contaminated with food particles.
- Be sure to hydrate with water. Stop drinking water 60 minutes before test time.
As always, thank you for participating in the testing and helping to keep all Black Bears safe! With gratitude for your effort and hopes for a productive and safe spring semester
Robert Q. Dana
Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students