Message to UMaine students — January 16
As we are about to begin our spring semester, we wanted to share some very important information regarding COVID testing for our campus. Starting on Tuesday, January 19th, the next round of required testing for students will begin. Please note there have been significant changes this semester and all details can be found below. We will be testing weekly all residential students as well as any off-campus students who have in-person classes. Weekly testing will be required and attendance tracked. Those not in compliance will be referred to the Office for Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities as a conduct code violation. As cases continue to rise in our state, it is more important than ever to test, practice social distancing, carefully and frequently wash your hands, and wear a mask whenever and wherever you are in public places or with other people.
Here are a few things to know:
- For commuters, if you are required to test, you should have already received a ticket with date and time from email@example.com. It is very important that you report for your test on the date indicated on your ticket. If you cannot, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule.
- For residential students, you will receive an email on Sunday, January 17th, which will include a link to retrieve your ticket with date and time. This will be the same date and time as your move-in block.
- Residential students will be required to test before entering any residence hall and will receive a colored wrist band at the testing site to allow you access to your hall similar to last fall. You must wear the band until you receive your negative test results.
- There is no need to print your test ticket; we can scan your phone!
- Testing remains at the Alfond Arena but you will now enter through the double doors closest to the concession stands from the Alfond parking lot. Follow the signs.
- All students will be required to shelter in place in their residence hall or off campus apartment until negative test results have been received, however, on campus folks will be able to utilize the dining facilities. More information about this will be shared with you from your hall staff. Once you receive your negative result, you are free to move about campus.
- Testing during the following weeks beginning January 25th will NOT require sheltering in place.
- If you have had a PCR test within 72 hours of arriving on campus with a negative result, please bring a printed copy of the results to the testing center at Alfond Arena to be exempted from the first week of testing only.
- Results of tests administered on campus are available through the ConvenientMD Patient Results Portal: patientresults.convenientmd.com/UMS. Your username is your @maine.edu email address. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password, which will not affect your UMS password.
- If you received an appointment to test, yet believe you should be exempted because you have not and will not be present on campus at all this semester, please reply to this email.
- If you have had the vaccine already, you are still required to test.
- If you have had a positive COVID test result within the last 90 days, please bring that printed information with you to the testing site.
In short, most of you will be required to test weekly throughout the entire semester. This testing regime is an essential part of the Black Bears Care program https://umaine.edu/return/black-bears-care/ and is required. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the COVID line at 207-581-2681 or the Dean of Students Office at 207-581-1406. You can also email testing questions to email@example.com.
Thank you all for helping UMaine be a safe and supportive community. I welcome you all back to campus and thank you for doing your part to keep yourself and everyone safe.
Take good care, protect yourselves, each other, and the college of our hearts always!
Robert Q. Dana
Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students