Information For Students’ Families

Exchanging Information About Your Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act sets limits on the information that we can provide to parents or families of a student without express consent from the student.

However, we recognize that parents and families often have the best insight into the actions and needs of their student.  Information that will help us to better support your student is always welcome.


Relationship Between Students and Residence Life

Our focus is always on our students. There are compelling educational reasons that college students should be treated as adults and sometimes, by doing this, it might feel that we are excluding the families of these students.  However, we want parents and families to realize that we are ultimately here to help every one of our students succeed as they make the transition into adulthood.

If you as a parent or family member of a residential student have a concern, please feel free to contact us. If this is your first time sending a student away to college; it can be hard to determine what a minor concern that your student can handle for themselves is  versus a major concern that you should be worried about. If you aren’t sure, don’t hesitate to contact us.  We’d be glad to listen to your concerns and let you know, based on our years of experience working with college students, what the best course of action would be to help your student with those concerns.

For concerns about your student, please feel free to contact your student’s Area Coordinator, Community Coordinator, or Assistant Community Coordinator here.


First Year Students

As part of the First Year Experience at UMaine, we require all first-year students to live on campus for the entirety of their first year.  Living on campus greatly increases students’ opportunities to get to know their peers, students’ access to faculty and staff, and students’ access to clubs, organizations and campus events.  Living on campus is also positively linked to students’ persistence towards attaining a degree; our data shows that UMaine students who live on campus their first year receive higher GPAs and are more likely to return for their second year of school when compared to their peers who live off campus!

Exceptions to our First Year Residency Requirement are granted only if the student is 21 years of age or older, is living with a parent or legal guardian within 35 miles of campus, or if there are exceptional circumstances.  To apply for an exemption to this requirement, please contact Housing Services.

For more information about the First Year Experience, visit their website.


First Year Parent and Family Email List

To join our first-year parent and family e-mail list, please send an email to with “Add to Email List” in the subject line.  This newsletter will begin in July and will run all the way through the following May.  It will include information about important dates (class registration, FAFSA, housing registration), important things that are happening around campus, and we also include upcoming events that parents and families are invited to (Friends and Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc.).


Policy Information to Assure a Safe Living Environment

Residence Life utilizes two primary guides for ensuring a safe living environment for our students, the Guide to Campus Living and the Student Handbook (which includes the Code of Conduct)

Alleged violations of the Guide to Campus Living or Student Handbook policies can result in a Judicial Referral to the Office of Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities (OCSRR).

Together, Residence Life and OCSSR may refer a student for a Housing Contract Review following certain policy violations. Additionally, staff reserves the right to move a student to a different hall if their behavior is having a significant impact on others living in that same community.  In the event that a student’s behavior compromises the safety of the community or other students, there is also the option to void the student’s housing agreement, thereby removing the student from the residential community.

The Campus Security Report provides information about the numbers of certain crimes collected through all University agencies, and in some cases include crimes reported to the Orono and Old Town Police departments as required by the Jeanne Cleary Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistic Act of 1998.

Federal law, through the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, permits educational institutions to disclose, to parents or legal guardians, information regarding a student’s violation of laws or policies of alcohol or controlled substances. Accordingly, the Parental Notification Policy is to notify parents or guardians of students under the age of 21 when the student has been found responsible for any second drug or alcohol related offense.  Other offices that have a vested educational interest in a student may also be notified of any alleged violations (ex: Athletics, ROTC, Fraternity and Sorority Affair, etc.)


Reaching Other Offices

The University Telephone Operator can be reached at 207.581.1110. After hours, voice-recognition software is available to assist you in reaching or leaving a voicemail with staff.


Common Questions/Concerns for Residence Life:

  • Issues between roommates (during the school year).
  • Residence hall policies.
  • Changing rooms.
  • Specific residence halls, programs or residence hall activities.

Contact Residence Life at 207.581.1409 or contact us.


Common Questions/Concerns for Housing Services :

  • Applying to live on-campus.
  • Housing fees, including housing cancellation fees.
  • New student assignments or any questions about assignments.
  • How to rent a MicroChill mini-refrigerator/microwave combination unit.
  • Roommate concerns (before the school year starts).

Contact Housing Services at 207.581.4580 or or visit the housing website.


Common Questions/Concerns for Dining Services:

  • Purchasing or changing meal plans.
  • Dining facilities.
  • Dining facility hours during breaks.
  • Nutrition information.
  • Dining options for students with allergies or for students who choose to be vegan or vegetarian.

Contact Dining Services at 207.581.4580 or visit the dining services website.


Common Questions/Concerns for The Counseling Center: 

  • Whether the concerns that you are hearing from your student are minor or major.
  • Referring a student in need or crisis.
  • Helpful seminars for students or parents.
  • Medication management services for students.

Contact the Counseling Center at 207-581-1392 or visit the counseling center website.


Common Questions/Concerns for The University of Maine Police Department: 

  • Hunting/sporting equipment storage.
  • Questions about the blue-light program.
  • Other campus safety concerns.
  • Any immediate concern for the safety, health or other well-being of any campus student.
  • Bicycle registration.

Contact the University of Maine Police Department at 207.581.4040 or visit The University of Maine Police Department website.