Biosafety Training Instructions
The University’s Policies and Procedures for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules or Infectious Agents include a training requirement. Researchers (and their students, staff, etc., who work in their labs) must complete biosafety/biosecurity training through the university’s current CITI subscription. NOTE: while the training requirement is directed primarily to researchers, if a course involves the use of BL-2 materials, the instructor is required to complete the training.
Below are the instructions for the training and the SPECIFIC modules you are required to complete.
- Go to www.citiprogram.org
- If you currently have a CITI account, please do NOT create another one! IF you have forgotten your username and/or password, there is a clickable link for “Forgot?” (Amanda Ashe can assist with retrieving usernames, but not passwords — contact information above.) Detailed instructions here if you need to establish an account (Word).
- Once logged in, click on “Add a course.” Scroll to question #7, Biosafety/Biosecurity. Click the box for the four modules listed below. When you have selected all four, scroll to the end and click “Complete Update.”
- Introduction to Biosafety
- Basic Biosafety Training (NOTE: this will show up as “Training for Investigators, Staff and Students Handling Biohazards” in your list of courses once added)
- Select Agents, Biosecurity and Bioterrorism
- NIH Recombinant DNA (rDNA Guidelines)
All students, postdocs, technicians working in your research lab should also complete the training. Please be sure to inform them of this requirement and keep documentation of training.