1987 Symposium Proceedings
The original symposium entitled Geologic and Geotechnical Characteristics of the Presumpscot Formation, Maine’s Glaciomarine “Clay”, was held March 20, 1987 in Augusta, Maine. It was organized to provide a forum for discussion among geologists, soil scientists, and geotechnical engineers on topics that included hazardous and radioactive site disposal, groundwater investigations and modeling, coastal retreat and bluff formation, sedimentology and landslide processes, wick drains, and highway embankments.
The following papers were presented at the 1987 Symposium
- 1987 Symposium Contents
- 1987 Symposium “Appendix A Bibliography of the Presumpscot Formation,” 8 pp.
- Symposium Introduction: Gorrill, W. R. “Three Thirds – A Team Approach,” 5 pp.
- Andrews, D.W. “The Engineering Aspects of the Presumpscot Formation,” 18 pp.
- Belknap, D.F. “Presumpscot Formation Submerged on the Inner Shelf,”14 pp.
- Brutsaert, W.F. “Potential of the Marine Clays of Maine as Liners for Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites,” 12 pp.
- Cole, S. W. “The Use of Wick Drains in Site Preparation: Case History,” 11 pp.
- Holland, W. R. and Tolman, A. L. “Techniques of Ground Water Investigation and Modeling in Marine Clay: A Case Study,” 18 pp.
- Kelley, J. T., Belknap, D. F., and Smith, R. “Coastal Retreat Mechanisms Involving Bluffs of the Presumpscot Formation,” 15 pp.
- LaSalle, P. “Marine Clays in Eastern Canada, Sedimentology and Landsliding Processes,” Abstract, 1 pp.
- Loiselle, M. C., Lanctot, E. M., and Johnston, R. A. “A Screening Study for the Disposal of Low-Level Radioactive Waste by Shallow Land Burial in Glacial Marine Clay,” 34 pp.
- Morgan, M. W. “Highway Embankments on the Presumpscot Formation,” 13 pp.
- Novak, I. D., “Geology of the September 1983 Landslide at Gorham, Maine,” 15 pp.
- Sandford, T. and Amos, J. “Engineering Analysis of the Gorham Landslide,” 28 pp.
- Schnitker, D. and Borns, Jr., H.W. “Depositional Environment and Composition of the Presumpscot Formation,” 14 pp.
- Thompson, W.B., “The Presumpscot Formation in Southwestern Maine,” 22 pp.
- Weaver, J. W. “Case History: Embankment Failure at Fore River Test Section Portland, Maine,” 15 pp.
[Author(s)] (1987). “[Title],” Geologic and Geotechnical Characteristics of the Presumpscot Formation Maine’s Glaciomarine “Clay” Symposium, Andrews, D.W., Thompson, W.D., Sandford, T.C., and Novak, I.D., Eds. Augusta, ME, 20 March 1987, [pages].