UMaine Police Department is hiring!
November 6th, 2013
Hourly Wage: $15.54 – $16.01
The University of Maine is seeking applications to fill the position of Police Officer.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to practice Community Policing in a culturally, racially, and academically diverse University community of student, faculty, and visitors, many from Maine but some coming from across the United States and throughout the world. Work schedules will vary and will include day, evening, midnight, weekend, and holiday work, as well as numerous special “extra” details such as duty at many athletic events. Officers interact regularly with the community, most often in a positive and supportive role, to improve their educational and living activities and opportunities at UMaine.
Minimum requirements include an Associate’s Degree or equivalent hours, a valid driver’s license, and the ability to meet all requirements defined by the State of Maine for a Law Enforcement Officer license to practice, within one year of hire. Candidates will be required to successfully complete a series of testing including written and oral examinations, a psychological interview, a background investigation, a physical, and a polygraph test.
Certification by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy is preferred. If not certified, the applicant must take the ALERT test and a physical assessment test in order to meet the MCJA criteria. Starting salary may be $15.54 to $16.01 per hour depending on Maine Criminal Justice Academy Certification. Benefits include qualified health and retirement plan, educational incentives, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and shift differential. Shift differential is paid for evening and midnight shifts.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and experience providing exemplary customer service.
- Knowledge of modern police practices and methods; experience enforcing Federal and State laws, city ordinances, and University conduct codes preferred.
- Knowledge of effective methods of investigation and experience analyzing situations quickly and objectively.
- Knowledge of recordkeeping principles and experience maintaining required records and preparing reports.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using computers and related software applications.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Position typically require: balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. May be subjected to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, oils, bodily fluids, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, workspace restrictions, and intense noises. Excellent hearing, clear speech, and excellent eyesight (corrected acceptable) are required. Must be able to function well under pressure with adverse stimulation and in potentially life-threatening situations. Appropriate background checks will be required.
To apply, please submit a current application along with a cover letter and resume relating qualifications and skills applicable to the duties specified above. Incomplete application materials cannot be accepted. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable pool of applicants is found.