Events & News
Department of Philosophy Colloquium Series 2015-2016
Thursday, October 29 John Waterman, Colby College
“Skepticism, Self-doubt, and Experimental Philosophy”
Thursday, November 5 Edward Mooney, Adjunct, UMaine
“Thoreau on Modulating Perception: Facts and Reveries”
Thursday, February 18 George Miller, UMaine Farmington
“Merleau-Ponty’s Critique of Operationalism: The Inadequacy of Data”
Thursday, February 25 Keith Peterson, Colby College
“A World Not Made for Us”
Thursday, April (TBA) Shannon Hoff, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
“Art, Tragedy, and Freedom in Hegel”
All events will be in the Maples at 4, unless otherwise specified.
Other Department News
Professor Kirsten Jacobson received the 2015 Presidential Outstanding Teaching Award at the University of Maine, and was the Outstanding Faculty Member in the area of Teaching and Advising for 2015.
Professor Kirsten Jacobson was on sabbatical on a sailing voyage in 2012-13. Here is a story from the Bangor Daily News.
Professor Michael Howard was selected as the Outstanding Faculty Member in the area of Teaching and Advising for 2012.
Philosophy Professors in UMaine Today on the 2008 Elections: Two Philosophy faculty, along with faculty from other departments, wrote short articles for UMaine Today on the 2008 elections, and were interviewed. Click on the links below to read the articles or see the videos:
- Mike Howard on the 2008 elections in UMaine Today, article and videos
- Doug Allen on the 2008 elections in UMaine Today, article and videos
- Jessica Miller on biomedical dilemmas concerning healthcare in rural areas in UMaine Today
- Doug Allen on Hind Swaraj, Gandhi’s most important book, podcast
- Mike Howard on Environmental Justice and Climate Change, video
- Kirsten Jacobson on neuroses as disorders of the body in space, UMaine Today article
- Jessica Miller on bioethics of the undead, Bangor Daily News article
- Phillosophy Department Newsletter for Spring 2010 (PDF)
- Philosophy in the News