Handicap Parking

Handicap permitted vehicles have access to any handicap signed spaces including those within barricaded lots.  Contact us at 581.4047 for any parking assistance.

The University of Maine complies with the federal standards for the number of handicap-designated parking spaces in relation to the number of parking spaces on the campus.  These spaces are allocated in specific parking lots by the anticipated need in that area.

Q. I have a state issued handicap placard or plate for my vehicle; do I still need a University permit?

A. Yes.  We are a “parking-by-permit” campus.  Faculty, staff and students purchase a yearly permit.  Visitors to the campus may obtain a one-day permit free of charge or purchase a yearly permit.  Permits may be purchased at Parking and Transportation Services, 523 DTAV. For more information on Visitor Permits click HERE

Visitor permits are also available at:

  • The Parking Services – 523 DTAV Community Center, located across from the UCU on Rangeley  Road.
  • The Police Department – 83 Rangeley Road.  There is a parking pass kiosk in the main lobby.

Q. I broke my leg this past weekend skiing.  Can I get a temporary handicap permit for the six weeks I will be on crutches?

A. Yes, MaineCard Services or Parking and Transportation Services will issue you a temporary handicap permit for up to seven days.  This permit is valid for handicap spaces on the campus only.  You will be provided with a state handicap permit request form (PDF) requiring your doctor’s signature.  Take the completed form to the Bureau of Motor Vehicle Registry to obtain a longer-term handicap placard.

Q.I am a commuter student and walking from the CCA lot seems like a long ways on crutches.  Am I able to park closer to my destination?

A. Yes.  As long as both permits, a state handicap permit and University permit, are displayed, you can park in any handicap-designated space.

Q.I broke my leg this weekend, but I haven’t been able to get a handicap placard yet.  Anyone can see that I am handicapped so I parked in a handicap space.  Is this going to cause a problem?

A. Yes!  It may be obvious to you, but the enforcement officer wasn’t present when you got out of your vehicle.  You are going to be responsible for a $100 citation and the charge of having your vehicle towed and stored unnecessarily.  Avoid this by stopping at MaineCard Service Center or Parking and Transportation Services.

Q. I’m a student and when I arrive each morning for class all the handicap spaces are taken near my building.  I parked in the egress area (zebra striped area) and received a citation for improper parking.  Why?

A. The egress area is next to the handicap space reserved to allow a disabled person to get out of their vehicle.  If your vehicle is parked there, it limits accessibility.  If you find all the handicap spaces full, try an adjacent lot.  A parking lot on the other side of the building may have an open space.  If you continue having difficulties, contact Student Accessibility Services ,  581-2319 for shuttle service information.