Aaron Joy, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 214
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2502; email@example.com
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Kansas, 2017
- NAVAIR Doctoral Fellowship, Naval Air Warfare Center, China Lake, 2015 – 2017
- Research Engineer, Naval Air Warfare Center, China Lake, 2013 – 2015
- Department of Defense SMART Fellow, University of Kansas, 2011 – 2013
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Statics; Strength of Materials; Dynamics; Mechanical Vibrations; Computational Tools; Mechanics
Research Areas: (More Information)
- Classical and Non-Classical Continuum Mechanics
- Computational Mathematics, including the finite element method
- Fluid-solid interaction
- Modeling of energetic materials
- DoD (ARO, AFOSR, ONR), NSF
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Modeling slow cook-off events in solid propellants, ONR
- A novel method for modeling generic fluid-solid interaction, ONR
- Internal polar and Cosserat continuum theories for more complete description of physics, ARO
- Nonlinear constitutive theories for heat flux and viscous fluids
Select Publications / Conference Presentations:
- Joy, A.D., Gross, M.L., Hedman, T.D. “The Use of Subscale Slow Cook-Off Data in Fullscale Modeling,” The JANNAF Journal of Propulsion and Energetics, Vol. 8, 2017.
- Joy, A.D., Surana, K.S., Reddy, J.N. “Mathematical Models in Fluid-Solid Interaction,” Presented at The Society of Engineering Science 54th Annual Technical Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, July 25-28, 2017.
- Surana, K.S., Joy, A.D., Reddy, J.N. “Non-Classical Continuum Theory for Fluids Incorporating Internal and Cosserat Rotation Rates,” Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Vol. 29, pp. 1249-1289, 2017.
- Surana, K.S., Joy, A.D., Kedari, S.R., Nunez, D., Reddy, J.N., Dalkilic, A.S. “A Nonlinear Constitutive Theory for Heat Conduction in Lagrangian Description Based on Integrity,” Journal of Thermal Engineering, Vol. 3, pp. 1615-1631, 2017.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- Society of Engineering Science (Symposium Organizer, Annual Technical Meeting)
- USACM, IACM, ASME, Pi Tau Sigma, SAE