Oyster Hatchery Manager (USPS)
To Apply, visit jobs.fsu.edu – Job ID (position) = 45665. Deadline to apply is midnight 18 October 2019
Job description – The successful candidate for the Oyster Hatchery Manager position will be involved in the establishment and management of a small-scale research hatchery for conditioning, spawning, larval maintenance and setting of the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica). The hatchery will support research objectives of the Apalachicola Bay System Initiative (ABSI, https://marinelab.fsu.edu/the-apalachicola-bay-system-initiative/) and related research in the region conducted at the Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory. Salary: commensurate with experience. This position requires a criminal history background check and a confidentiality statement.
Duties – Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with hatchery set-up and initiate operations to produce oyster larvae and juveniles
- Set up and maintain cultures of multiple species of marine micro-algae for feeding oysters
- Refine protocols for conditioning adult oysters for repeated spawning events
- Spawn oysters, successfully fertilize gametes and maintain batches of oyster larvae to settlement
- Set juveniles on a range of substrate types for restoration experiments.
- Ensure hatchery facilities are clean, organized, and well-maintained
- Maintain detailed data of all feed formulas and biological production so that reasons for successes or failures can be determined
- Maintain detailed records of all hatchery-related purchases and maintenance orders
- Supervise a full-time assistant (hatchery technician) in hatchery operations
- Train interns from the local area in hatchery skills to increase workforce capacity in the local area
- Oversees safety in the hatchery environment and is expected to respond to system alarms
Skills and Qualifications:
- Fundamental understanding of recirculating and flow-through systems, algal culture and hatchery production (on a research enterprise, non-commercial scale)
- Ability to keep clear and accurate records of equipment maintenance, hatchery consumables and production levels.
- Superior time management and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in a physically challenging environment and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong work ethic, flexibility and professional manners
Education- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to four years.
- Experience working with students and interns
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science + 2 years experience working in a shellfish hatchery OR 4+ years working in a shellfish hatchery/production facility