Preferred Names and Gender Inclusive Housing
Students have a choice of displaying their preferred first name instead of their legal first name, or in addition to their legal first name on many platforms across campus. Authorized changes to preferred names will be almost immediate. Please see this page from student records for information about where a preferred name change will be displayed: Updating Personal Information
To change your display name in the portal, log into Mainestreet Portal and follow the instructions below.
- When in your Mainestreet account, click on the Student Self-Service link.
- Click on Student Center.
- Find the “Personal Information” section and click on “Names”.
- Click edit, add your preferred name and save.
Students also have the option of having their preferred name on their Maine Card. To make a request please contact the MaineCard Office.
You can also change your display name in the Google system. While this will not change your root address, it will change the name displayed for internal emails, as well as in Google Drive, Calendar, and other Google platforms. To change your name across all Google platforms, you will need to make the change in Google Plus. To do so, follow these instructions:
- Log into your UMaine google account, and navigate to Google+.
- If you do not use Google+ you will need to activate your account.
- Click on profile in the menu on the left side of your screen
- Click edit profile, and then the small “i” to edit about me.
- You can then change your display name to be reflected across Google platforms.
Need help letting your professors know about your preferred name? Refer to this email template!
Please be advised that changing to a preferred name is not the same as legally changing your name through the court system. Therefore the preferred name will not be reflected on, among other official and legal documents, official academic records, financial aid applications, transcripts or employee official records.
Recently, there has been a system update that allows students to change their email address and user name to their preferred name. Once you have added a preferred name to the MaineStreet system, you are able to change your email and account username via a simple process.
- Go to the UMS User Account Management webpage and
- Select “Change your UMS user account username“.
- Read that page carefully and then select “Proceed to the UMS user account username change tool”.
- Login, and then you should see a section that says “custom name-based” (near the third button that says “Confirm New Username”. You will be able to select your preferred name from that list to create your new email address and username! Be aware that from now on you will not receive emails that are sent to your old email address, so you will need to update anyone that has been using that previous email address of the change.
In addition, in order to change your gender in MaineStreet, simply complete the form located HERE. All you need to do is submit the completed form to Student Records – no other documentation or information is needed!
Roommate Choice: Housing at UMaine
UMaine is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and supportive experience for all students. Students may choose to reside together regardless of gender identity. We are also excited to offer the Prism+ themed community for LGBTQ+ students. If you are a student who is interested in residing with a roommate of any gender there are options available to you. To better meet your needs and answer questions please contact:
Director of Residence Life