Keep Learning — Frequently Asked Questions
How do I search for courses?
- For an instructional how-to video: How to Search for Classes in MaineStreet
- Search the current Undergraduate Catalog
- Search the current Graduate Catalog
How do I register for courses?
Students (active and returning) with a MaineStreet account can register online using MaineStreet.
If I have questions about Early College, who should I speak to?
How do I become registered for an Early College course?
Visit the Early College website for how-to-apply and course registration information.
What are the tuition and fees associated with taking classes?
The Bursar’s Office website has information about tuition and fees.
How do I sign up for Financial Aid?
The Financial Aid website has sign-up information.
Who do I contact about my bill? A payment plan?
The Financial Aid website page “Paying the bill” has more information about your bill and payment plans.
How do I sign up for a non-degree undergraduate course?
If you are a first-year student in a declared major AND registering for the first time, you must contact your department to complete the registration process. For undergraduate level courses, complete and submit this UMaine Online registration form.
How do I sign up for a non-degree graduate course?
For graduate level courses, please see the UMaine Graduate School application page. This application contains modules for degree, certificate, and non-degree students.
Where can I find the most up to date Academic Calendar?
Current Academic Calendars can be found on the Student Records website’s main page.
When is the last date to drop a course for a full refund?
Find those dates within the Academic Calendar which is found on the Student Records website’s main page.
If I am a student with Brightspace questions, who should I contact?
Call Division of Lifelong Learning Tech Help at 877.947.4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for technical support.
If I am faculty with Brightspace questions, who should I contact?
How do I find the Math Placement test?
Information about Math Placement testing can be found on the UMaine Online website.
How do I reset my MaineStreet password?
How do I change my preferred name in MaineStreet?
To enter a Preferred Name in MaineStreet:
- Go to the MaineStreet UMS Portal.
- Navigate to your Student Center.
- Select the link labelled “Demographic Data” under “Personal Information.”
- Select the “Names” tab.
- Click the green “Edit” button.
- Add or change your Preferred Name.
Or email the IT Help Desk at email@example.com.
How do I activate my account? Who do I contact if I am having trouble?
To activate your UMS Account
Your UMS account grants access to the MaineStreet, the student records system, and your maine.edu email account. Activate this as soon as possible. You will receive important information about campus housing, registration and student services at this address. To activate your account:
- Go to UMaine’s Account Activation page.
- Enter your Student ID and Activation Code provided in your admission letter.
- After you submit your activation, the activation web site generates an acknowledgement. The acknowledgement contains your new UMS User Name, password, and email address. This information should be kept private. Please save or print the information and keep it in a secure place.
- Once you have activated your account, you may use your new UMS User Name and password to check on the status of your application, or to update your personal information. Go to the MaineStreet portal. Enter your UMS User Name and password to access the portal.
If you have difficulty activating, logging into, or using your account, please visit our support site. This site has information about your UMS account and the MaineStreet portal and provides links to helpful resources. If you need further assistance, you may call the UMaine IT Help Desk at (207) 581-2506 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.