For University-Owned Devices
This download is for UMaine faculty and staff installations of Microsoft Office client software for university-owned computers. You will be prompted to log in after choosing the version of the software to download for your device.
For Personal Devices
The University of Maine System has an agreement with Microsoft that allows all affiliated students, faculty, and staff the use of certain Microsoft Office products for their personal devices.
The Office365 package can be downloaded and installed for Windows or Mac OS X on up to 5 personally owned devices.
Additionally, Microsoft’s online, collaborative version of Office is available from any device with an internet connection.
To install MS Office for your personal device:
- Browse to http://office.com/getOffice365.
- Select the appropriate affiliation link:
Students select the Student link.
Faculty and Staff select the Faculty link.
- Select Find out if you’re eligible
- Follow the steps, be sure to use a valid maine.edu address.
- A verification email is sent to maine.edu address used, use the link in the email to complete account enrollment process. If your verification email is not received shortly, check your junk mail and spam folders.
IMPORTANT: Although the Microsoft account uses your maine.edu email address to verify eligibility, it is not linked to your UMS identity. The UMS Information Security Policy requires that you NOT use your UMS password for outside accounts. Please be sure to use a password that is different than your UMS ID password.
Complete the rest of the setup process:
- Log in using your maine.edu email address and password
- Us the link contained in the verification email and select: Complete Office 365 Education signup.
- Enter a First Name, Last name, and a password.
- These instructions are for desktops and laptops. Tablet installations may vary.
- On the Office365 page, select Start and then Install now
- There will be an option to save a file (filename ends with .exe for Windows, .dmg for Mac).
- Locate the saved file in the downloads area of the browser, run the file and follow the prompts.
- The screen titled First things first offers two options. Select No Thanks for both.