Math Placement Testing – ALEKS
ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses. The Placement Assessment is up to 30 questions and generally takes 60-90 minutes to complete. After the Placement Assessment, an individualized Prep and Learning Module is available for students to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. Students then have the opportunity to reassess and improve their placement.
ALEKS consists of three parts:
- An Initial Placement Assessment
- The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review
- Access to up to four additional Placement Assessments
The University of Maine encourages each student to spend time in the Prep and Learning Module, even if the desired score is achieved, because time spent in ALEKS will ultimately lead to better preparation and improved grades.
All students entering UMaine must be placed in the correct math classes. If you have a 670 on the math portion of the SAT, or a 29 on the math portion of the ACT, then you can be enrolled in any math class up to MAT 126 (Calculus I); all other students must take the ALEKS PPL Assessment, our mathematics placement exam.
To take the exam, wait 24 hours after activating your UMS account and then:
- Go to https://redirector.apps.maine.edu/mathplacement
- Log in using your UMS ID and password. Call IT Help, 207.581.2506, if you need help logging in