Eligibility and Deadlines
All students interested in studying abroad must meet the following requirements:
- be enrolled at UMaine full-time in the semester prior to studying abroad
- have completed two semesters of college by the start of the study abroad program
- 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA required
- good academic and disciplinary standing
- meet foreign language proficiency requirements if needed
Please note that UMaine has a rolling admissions policy. Students are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible as some programs, particularly direct exchange programs, fill prior to the deadlines:
February 20 – for Summer, Fall and Academic Year programs
October 15 – for Spring programs
Study Abroad Policies
- UMaine students can study abroad only through Study Abroad Programs approved by the Office of International Programs (OIP). Students who wish to participate in a program not listed on the approved list of UMaine study abroad programs must submit a letter of appeal to the OIP Director. The OIP Director may grant permission to a UMaine student to participate in a previously un-approved program based on the program’s administrative, health, and safety procedures and services.
- Study abroad programs in countries under U.S. Department of State Travel Warning are NOT approved.
- Students can study abroad at most one full academic year (two semesters). Students can do multiple summer programs.
- Extension of a study abroad program will be granted based on academic and disciplinary performance at the host institution.
- OIP reserves the right to rescind approval of participation in a study abroad program if the student fails to maintain the required academic performance and/or disciplinary conduct before the start of the program.