You are required to have health insurance for yourself and your dependents (spouse and/or children) if they are in the US.
Insurance Form Quick Links
Why do I need to have health insurance?
American health care is very expensive and you must have appropriate insurance coverage. If you fail to obtain health insurance to cover your medical costs you will be responsible for paying your medical bills in full. Even simple medical procedures can amount to thousands of dollars.
Required Levels of Coverage
- Medical benefit of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- $50,000 to cover expenses associated with the medical evacuation;
- $25,000 for the repatriation of remains
- The deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness.
University of Maine Student/Scholar Medical Insurance Plan
For the on-line plan brochure and information on who to contact for assistance with insurance visit the Cross Agency.
- The University of Maine International Student/Scholar Medical Insurance Plan is strongly recommended since it has been designed in collaboration with Student Health Services to meet your health care needs.
- All international students are automatically enrolled in the UMaine International Insurance Plan for the full academic year.
- Athletes with a scholarship must take the University of Maine insurance plan.
- If you choose not to have the UMaine plan you must complete and submit an Insurance Waiver by Friday January 29, 2016.
- If you have an older paper version of the form please mail your form to 240 Estabrooke Hall, Orono, Maine, 04469, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 207-581-2920.
Choosing an Alternate Plan
- Your plan must meet the required levels of coverage listed above.
- Your plan must be valid for one year.
- You get what you pay for. Read the entire plan before choosing it. It may not cover important items that you may need such as ambulance services.
- If you choose another plan but fail to submit the Insurance Waiver by Friday January 29, 2016 you will be charged for the UMaine plan.
All exchange students are enrolled automatically in the UMaine International Insurance Plan for the full academic year. If you are an exchange student for only one semester at UMaine, you can adjust the dates of your UMaine insurance coverage by submitting the Temporary Coverage Form. Yearlong exchange students must have health insurance for the full year.
Can I have a health insurance for only one semester?
Only exchange students enrolling at UMaine for one semester or students graduating in December can have health insurance coverage for less than one year. All other international students must have health insurance for the full year. To enroll in the insurance University of Maine Student/Scholar Medical Insurance plan for a partial year complete and submit the Temporary Coverage Form.
How do I insure my dependents?
If you have dependents (spouse and/or children) with you in the US they must be insured. To enroll your dependents in the University of Maine Student/Scholar Medical Insurance plan please complete and submit the Dependent Enrollment Form