It is important to note the following when making a request to UMaine to assume sponsorship of your J-1 Exchange Visitor:
- The fees associated with this request are: $367- Department of State processing fee and $250 Office of International Programs (OIP) administrative fee. Payments accepted by:
- Check- payable in the full amount ($617) to the University of Maine.
- Online by credit card– payment processing fees are $23 which increases the total charge to $640. Online payments can be submitted here.
- It can take up to two weeks for the Office of International Programs (OIP) to process your request and forward it to the Department of State.
- It can take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month for the Department of State to process the request. OIP has limited authority to expedite this process.
- The Department of State has sole discretion over whether or not to grant permission to OIP to issue a DS2019 J-1 Exchange Visitor document. Fees are nonrefundable in the event that permission is not granted
- Once a DS2019 is issued the J-1 Exchange Visitor must apply at a US Consulate abroad for a J-1 visa. The Department of Sate has sole discretion over whether or not to grant or deny a visa. Processing fees are nonrefundable in the event that a visa is denied
- Once your Exchange Visitor arrives in the US he/she must check in with OIP. We need copies of the Exchange Visitor’s passport, visa, DS2019 and a current residential address in the US.
- If you have any questions about this application process please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Joughin at 207-581-3425.
To Request Visa Documents for a J-1 Exchange Visitor at your institution:
1. Assemble and upload the following documents using the upload function found at the bottom of the form below.
- Complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor Department Request Form
- Request for Sponsorship letter: revise and submit on your school’s letterhead
- Documentation of finances showing at least $1500/month (if your school will be paying the scholar)
- English proficiency form (included with J-1 EV Request form above)
- Copy of Exchange Visitor’s CV or resume;