H1b Extension Applicant Information

Congratulations on your continuing employment at the University of Maine!!

Your department has requested an extension of your H1b status so that you can continue legal employment at UMaine.

In order to complete the paperwork necessary to petition for your H1b extension, we need to gather some information from you.  Please be sure to complete the form below accurately and completely.  Please be aware that once you begin completing the form there is no option to save and continue later so please be sure to have all the information with you when you begin.

Please note that your authorization to work will continue while your H1b application is pending as long as the petition is filed and receipted at USCIS before the expiration date on your current I-797 approval notice.  However, travel outside the US will be problematic while your application is pending.  If your current period of H1b status has ended and your extension is pending, please be sure to contact Sarah Joughin at joughin@maine.edu if you plan to travel outside the US.

For information on processing times for H1b visas please visit the UMaine Department information page.

Information about accompanying family members

H1b employees who have dependents requiring H-4 status will need to submit an I-539 application to extend/change status and pay the requisite filing fee.  Please complete the form, assemble required documents,  write a check for the filing fee made out to the Department of Homeland Security and submit the packet to Sarah Joughin at the Office of International Programs in 300 Stodder Hall.  You can complete the I-539 here.

To apply for an extension of your H1b please complete the form at the link below.

In addition to completing the form, you will be asked to upload documents.  ONLY the following documents are necessary for the extension petition:

  • Copy of your passport biographical page
  • Copy of your updated resume or CV
  • Copy of your most recent H1b visa stamp (except Canadians) if you have one
  • Copy of your I-94 document (can be accessed at cbp.gov/I94)
  • Copy of your most recent I-797 approval notice (upload this in Employment Authorization Document field designated for those on OPT)

H1b Applicant Information Form