Ease into academic courses part-time, with support and confidence with the IEI Bridge Program
The IEI Bridge program is for students who have received conditional admission to the University of Maine, but whose English language scores are below 550 (ITP), 79 (IBT), or 6.5 (IELTS) necessary for full-time enrollment. The Maine Bridge Program is operated by the University of Maine Intensive English Institute. It is available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
By the time you’re ready to begin full-time academic study, you’ll be ready to jump right in! The UMaine Bridge Program allows you to:
• earn academic credit towards your degree while improving your English language skills in a safe and nurturing environment
• work closely with your own Maine Bridge Advisor to plan the course of your study and class schedule
• be a part of the diverse and active UMaine community
• have access to UMaine resources, facilities, library, labs, and more
• be a part of the fun and friendly IEI community; go on trips, join holiday celebrations and more!
The University of Maine is committed to student success and provides financial support through various scholarships to the University of Maine, including Bridge Students.
We are proud to offer all Bridge Students our IEI Bridge Scholarship valued at $4000 a year.
Sample Undergraduate Program Progression
Your placement into the UMaine Bridge program will be dependent on your TOEFL (or equivalent) test scores. See the chart below for an example of program progression. Regardless of entry point, you will begin earning academic credit towards your undergraduate or graduate degree program while you work on your language skills.
This chart does not guarantee entrance in said time period
Sample Graduate Program Progression
This chart does not guarantee entrance to degree program in said time period