Supervisor Development Institute
Who is eligible? Supervisors across the University of Maine System are eligible. Or, if it is anticipated that you will become a supervisor soon, or if it’s a path of interest, your application will be considered as well. SDI defines a supervisor as someone who:
- Is courageous and committed to welcoming employees and leveraging their talent and grit for the benefit of their professional development and contribution to the University and our students
- Oversees the day-to-day work and is responsible for the annual performance assessment of another regular employee(s)
- Is responsible for performance coaching and employment actions pertaining to one or more employees
Process: To participate in the Institute and receive a certificate of completion, you must:
- Submit a completed 2019-2020 Supervisor Development Institute (SDI) Application form online
- Attend all workshops in the series – approximately 32 hours total, meeting once about every three weeks from October to mid-May
- Complete the on-the-job activities assigned in class
Certificate of Completion: Your attendance will be tracked, and upon successful completion of all the requirements of the SDI core curriculum, you will be awarded a certificate of completion.
Engagement Expectations: Because the SDI content builds on itself, and because each group becomes a cohort that engages in and between sessions, attendees must commit to attending all of the sessions (this is a graduation requirement).
The impact of this training comes when newly learned skills are applied on the job to create positive supervisory/team benefit. When new skills and goals are honored, recognized and supported by your manager you will be able to maximize durable learning in these areas. It is for this reason that we will engage your managers in regular updates and leverage teamwork within the cohort. This series will be interactive and job applicable.
Make-Up Sessions: There are some sessions where, based on advance awareness of limited availability or during a weather-related campus closure, we offer a ‘make-up session.’ One date for making up sessions is built into the series schedule to allow for this. Once we determine the number of sessions that require make-up, we will provide a detailed schedule and the method we will use on the scheduled make-up date.
Employees Accepted: Our commitment is to provide access and quality learning.
Questions: This series is coordinated and offered by US:HR Learning & Organizational Development. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you or your manager have any questions.
ADA Needs: Please be sure to let us know if you have any ADA needs.