First Year Student Information
Housing for Fall 2021
First-year Residence Requirement
Living on campus maximizes opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience.
- First‑year students may request general first year housing, or request up to three themed Living/Learning Communities
- Consideration for assignment to a Living Learning Community or Themed housing will be based upon space availability.
- Individual hall selection is not available
Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria:
- Aged 21 or older
- A veteran or transfer student
- Living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles)
- Exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet this requirement
Housing Fast Facts
- Apply for housing as soon as possible.
- You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
- If you will be requesting Honors College housing, please apply and confirm admission early—Honors housing is limited and fills quickly
- Make sure you accept the invitation from the Honors College before applying for housing
- Select a meal plan
- Housing assignments are made based on availability and the application date once admission is confirmed
- Break/Continuous housing is available for the Fall 2021-Spring 2022 academic year
Roommate & Themed Living Requests
To request a roommate, please submit a housing application with your requested roommate’s name as your roommate preference. If you find a roommate after submitting your housing application, please email us with the name of your requested roommate. Roommate requests are guaranteed if received by May 1, with both housing applications on file. We will accommodate requests received after May 1 if at all possible.
First year students who matched with a roommate through My College Roomie will be assigned with their matched roommate, and do not need to contact our office to request a roommate.
Requests for Living/Learning Communities and Themed Housing will be assigned based upon space availability.
For information about moving in, please visit the Maine Hello website.
Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance.