First-year Student Information

Welcome to the University of Maine! We invite you to apply for on-campus housing at this time.

Housing for Spring 2020

The Spring 2020 housing application will be live in myHousing October 21 for new and transfer students, as well as off-campus students who wish to apply for housing in the spring. If you are unable to apply beginning October 15, please contact us.
Current residents do not need to apply for Spring 2020 housing.

First-year Residence Requirement

Living on campus maximizes opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience.

  • First‑year students may request general first year housing, or select two themed Living/Learning Communities
    • You must answer the two follow up questions before you submit your housing application
    • Assignment to a Living Learning Community is not guaranteed
  • Individual hall selection is not available

Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria:

  • Aged 21 or older
  • A veteran or transfer student
  • Living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles)
  • Exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet this requirement

Housing Fast Facts

  • Apply for housing as soon as possible
  • You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
    • If you will be requesting Honors College housing, please apply and confirm admission early—Honors housing is limited and fills quickly
    • Make sure you accept the invitation from the Honors College before applying for housing
  • Select a meal plan
  • Select Continuous Housing only if you will require housing during Winter Break (Friday, December 20, 2019–Sunday, January 19, 2020 and for Spring Break (Friday, March 13, 2020– Sunday, March 22, 2020. Most residence halls close for the Winter Break and Spring Break. Continuous housing halls do not.
  • Housing assignments are made based on availability and the application date once admission is confirmed

Roommate Requests

Roommate selection can be guaranteed if the following conditions are met by May 1:

  • Both students have housing applications on file requesting each other
  • Both students have confirmed admission
    • After May 1 we will accommodate roommate requests whenever we can, based upon space availability at the time of assignment.
  • Requests for Living/Learning Communities will be reviewed by Residence Life staff
    • Approved requests will be assigned based upon space availability

Fall Check-in

Check-in for first-year and transfer students will be on Friday, August 30, 2019.

Property Insurance

Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance.

For more information, check out our list of what to bring to campus.
Questions? Go to Residence Life or contact Housing Services.