First Year Student Information
An email was sent out recently by My College Roomie in error. My College Roomie is closed. If you did not match up with a roommate, you will be assigned a roommate in your major or college, if possible.
Welcome to the University of Maine! If you have not yet applied for housing, you may be placed on a waiting list.
Housing for Fall 2020
First-year Residence Requirement
Living on campus maximizes opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience.
- First‑year students may request general first year housing, or request up to three themed Living/Learning Communities
- Consideration for assignment to a Living Learning Community or Themed housing will be based upon space availability.
- Individual hall selection is not available
Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria:
- Aged 21 or older
- A veteran or transfer student
- Living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles)
- Exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet this requirement
Housing Fast Facts
- Apply for housing as soon as possible. If you have not yet applied for housing, you may be placed on a waiting list.
- You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
- If you will be requesting Honors College housing, please apply and confirm admission early—Honors housing is limited and fills quickly
- Make sure you accept the invitation from the Honors College before applying for housing
- Select a meal plan
- Housing assignments are made based on availability and the application date once admission is confirmed
- Room assignments for incoming first year and transfer students for the fall of 2020 will be available beginning July 13, 2020.
- Break/Continuous housing has been suspended for the academic year.
Roommate & Themed Living Requests
We are no longer taking roommate requests at this time. Roommates will be matched by major or college, if possible.
Requests for Living/Learning Communities and Themed Housing will be assigned based upon space availability.
Check-in for first-year and transfer students will be updated on the Maine Hello website.
Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance.