First-year Student Information
Welcome to the University of Maine! We invite you to apply for on-campus housing at this time.
Housing for Fall 2020
First-year Residence Requirement
Living on campus maximizes opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience.
- First‑year students may request general first year housing, or request up to three themed Living/Learning Communities
- Consideration for assignment to a Living Learning Community or Themed housing will be based upon space availability.
- Individual hall selection is not available
Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria:
- Aged 21 or older
- A veteran or transfer student
- Living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles)
- Exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet this requirement
Housing Fast Facts
- Apply for housing as soon as possible
- You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
- If you will be requesting Honors College housing, please apply and confirm admission early—Honors housing is limited and fills quickly
- Make sure you accept the invitation from the Honors College before applying for housing
- Select a meal plan
- Select Continuous Housing only if you will require housing during Winter Break (Friday, December 18, 2020–Sunday, January 17, 2021 and for Spring Break (Friday, March 12, 2021– Sunday, March 21, 2021. Most residence halls close for the Winter Break and Spring Break. Continuous housing halls do not.
- Housing assignments are made based on availability and the application date once admission is confirmed
Specific roommate requests may be guaranteed if the following conditions are met by May 1:
- Both students have housing applications on file requesting each other
- Both students have confirmed admission
- After May 1 we will accommodate roommate requests whenever we can, based upon space availability at the time of assignment.
- Requests for Living/Learning Communities and Themed Housing will be assigned based upon space availability
Check-in for first-year and transfer students will be on Friday, August 28, 2020.
Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance.