Winter Break Closing Information
The following halls will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 16 for the winter break: Androscoggin, Aroostook, Balentine, Colvin, Cumberland, Estabrooke, Gannett, Hancock, Hart, Oak, Oxford, Penobscot and Somerset. These halls will reopen on Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 10 a.m.

The following halls remain open for the winter and spring breaks: DTAV/Patch, Kennebec, Knox, Stodder and York.

Spring 2017 Housing Application/Spring 2017 Assignments
The Spring 2017 housing application is now available for incoming new undergraduate and new graduate students entering for Spring 2017. Please log in to myHousing with your MaineStreet logon and password to access the housing application. The housing application works best on a PC or laptop using Chrome or IE. Please do not add “” to your username.

If you are a returning student who did not attend Fall 2016, please contact us at so that we can make sure the housing application is accessible to you.

Spring 2017 Room Assignments will be available on or after December 23 by logging in to myHousing. 

Contact UMaine Housing Services
If you have a question regarding on-campus housing at UMaine, please send an e-mail to for a faster response during business hours. We may not be able to get back to you by phone in the same day due to a high volume of phone traffic. Thank you!

Room Cancellation Fees – 2016-2017

Once a student moves in to the residence hall, per diem room and board fees will apply and the room cancellation fee will be $500.00. Board cancellation fees will also apply if the student has a meal plan.

Getting Your Mail & Packages
Please click here for the UMaine Printing & Mailing Services website for instructions on forwarding your mail properly so that you don’t miss anything important.

First Year Residence Requirement
Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience. Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria: (1) aged 21 or older; (2) a veteran or transfer student; (3) living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles); (4) exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet the requirement.

General Housing Information

The University of Maine provides on-campus housing in 17 residence halls. Options include traditional undergraduate residence halls for first year and upperclass residents, suite style living for upperclass residents, graduate housing, and several living/learning lifestyle options.

For Fall 2016-Spring 2017:
The First Year Experience (FYE) program is for first year students assigned to the following halls:

  • Androscoggin
  • Cumberland
  • Gannett
  • Knox
  • Oxford
  • Somerset
  • Balentine (Honors – upperclass and first-year)
  • Colvin (Honors – upperclass and first-year)
  • Penobscot (Honors – upperclass and first-year)
  • York

Traditional housing halls for upperclass students

  • Aroostook – sophomores
  • Estabrooke – Juniors and Seniors
  • Kennebec – sophomores on 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; Juniors/Seniors on 4th floor
  • Hancock – sophomores
  • Hart – sophomores
  • DTAV (suite-style) – Juniors and Seniors
  • Patch (suite-style) – Juniors and Seniors
  • Oak (all singles) – Juniors and Seniors
  • Stodder (graduate housing)

For Fall 2016, halls will open on Friday, August 26 for new and incoming transfer students. Halls will open for returning students on Sunday, August 28 at 10am.

What to Bring ,What Not to Bring to Campus

Available Heights of Bed Options for Resident Halls

Questions regarding on-campus housing at UMaine? Check this site to see if your question can be answered here. If not, please e-mail the Housing Office at

To stay current with the latest information and updates from Housing Services we encourage you to bookmark this Web site. The Office of Housing Services also suggests that you review as many web sites as possible on the A-to-Z Directory of the University of Maine website, including the following:

MicroFridge® (combination microwave & refrigerator)

The MicroFridge® Appliance is approved for use in University of Maine residence halls. This is the only option if you would like BOTH a microwave and a refrigerator for your on-campus room. For more information and to rent or buy a MicroFridge®, please visit the UMaine-approved University Logistics website.

You can also call Unversity Logistics with any questions about the MicroFridge® or ordering information to the MicroFridge® Student Rental Call Center at 1.800.525.7307.

To view the latest PDF of the MicroFridge® brochure, please click MFBrochureFinal3-13-14.

Disability Accesss

Students who present with physical or psychological disabilities that are documented by a qualified medical provider may request special housing/dining accommodations by following the Housing Meal Plan Modifications Procedure revised 11-6-14. To request accommodations please contact Disability Support Services, and submit to them the completed Housing Doc of Need Form revised 07-02-2015 , voice 207.581.2319 e-mail, fax 207.581.9420.

Nondiscrimination Notice

The University of Maine does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, including transgender status and gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities.  The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies:  Director, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, 207.581.1226.