Enrolling 101

Students in MLK Plaza

All necessary forms and information for enrolling in courses as you journey along the path to a graduate degree.

Preparing to Enroll

: Step 1Clear any holds from your MaineStreet account.

The Financial Terms and Conditions Agreement hold is applied prior to enrolling for your first semester and will be in effect for the entirety of your program. Only students with no enrollment for two years or more will be required to complete another agreement

Step 2 : Determine the number of credits you need to be registered for based on your status. See the definition of a credit hour.

  • Full-time Status: Full-time students must register for at least 6 credits each fall and spring semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.
    • Doctoral candidates who have been admitted into candidacy may register for one thesis/research credit each fall and spring semester to maintain full-time status.
  • Part-time Status: Part-time students must register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree.

Step 3 Find the necessary courses for your program of study   >      Search for Classes

When do I enroll?
Enroll during the scheduled appointment times  >  Enrollment Schedule 

Academic Calendar

More academic calendar dates

How do I enroll?
  • Newly admitted students will register through the Graduate School by submitting a registration form.
  • Current students can register themselves within MaineStreet and should contact their academic unit’s administrative staff if they experience problems enrolling themselves.
  • Non-degree students can email Gail Boucher with the course information and include permission from the instructor (if applicable) if they are active non-degree students. To submit a non-degree application, go here
How do I change my course schedule?
  1. Discuss changes to your schedule with your advisor
  2. Check to be sure that you are within the add/drop window
  3. Complete the add/drop form
  4. Send an email or the completed add/drop form to Gail Boucher

Questions? Contact:

How do I let UMaine know I’m enrolled at another institution?

Submit a study away registration form!

A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at the University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in the University of Maine System or at another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine.  

Send the Study Away form to Debbi Clements (debbi.clements@maine.edu) once you have obtained your advisor’s signature.

Frequently Asked Questions

Students in MLK Plaza

What is the definition of a credit hour at the University of Maine?

The University of Maine and the University of Maine at Machias acknowledge and adhere to the federal definition of a credit hour with respect to courses offered face to face, in hybrid format, and online, as developed in 2010 and published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 34, Part 600.02:

[A] credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than

(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit [ . . . ] or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

(2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution[,] including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the awarding of credit hours.

More information on the Federal Definition of the Credit Hour.

How do I remove the Financial Terms and Conditions Agreement hold from my account? 

  1. Log in to your MaineStreet Student Center and select  Student Self-Service, then Student Center.
  2. Your To-Do List (right side, 3rd box from the top) will have a Financial Terms and Conditions link.
  3. Select the link to read the statement.
  4. Select the “Accept” box at the bottom of your screen after reading the statement.
  5. Select the “Save” button at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Select the “Next” button on the top right of your screen. A new screen appears.
  7. Select the “Finish” button at the bottom of the screen.
  8. Select the “Exit” button on the top right of your screen.

What is INT 601 and why do I need to take it?

INT 601 is the responsible conduct of research course that is required for any student pursuing a graduate research master’s (thesis) or doctoral program. Go to the Responsible Conduct of Research Training page for more information. 

How do I remove the Graduate School hold from my account? 

Students who have not yet submitted the documentation listed in their admission letter will have a hold placed on their account which prevents them from registering for courses. To remove the hold, submit the official transcript showing the degree has been awarded and/or official test score report to our office. In both cases, we require the item directly from the issuing institution or testing agency. Contact Debbi Clements (debbi.clements@maine.edu) if there are extenuating circumstances around obtaining an official copy of a transcript.