GRADUATE STUDENT ORIENTATION
Thursday, August 24th 2017 — Neville Hall, Room 101
8:15-8:45 Registration & Continental Breakfast (Neville Hall Lobby)
8:45-8:55 Welcome & Overview (Neville 101)
- Kody Varahramyan, Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School
- David Neivandt, Associate Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies
- Scott Delcourt, Assistant Vice President for Graduate Studies and Senior Associate Dean
8:55-9:05 GSG Introductions
- Shane Cushing, President
- Elisabeth Kilroy, Vice President
- Anne Lausier, Grants Officer
- Jeanne DuShane, Treasurer
- Brian Preziosi, Secretary
- Kimberley Rain Minor, Board of Trustees Representative
9:05-9:35 GSG Grants Workshop (link) – Anne Lausier, Grants Officers
9:35-9:55 The Basics: Being a Graduate Student – Scott Delcourt
Instructions regarding financial aid, MaineStreet, parking permits, & much more.
9:55-10:10 Maine Career Connect Presentation (link) – Carin Sychterz
10:25-10:55 Health & Wellness Panel (link) – Richard Young, Cross Insurance; Renee Sibley, Cutler Health Center; and Kristie Deschesne, Campus Recreation
Information about health benefits & UMaine campus facilities including Cutler Health Center, campus recreation/wellness programs & insurance options.
10:55-11:05 Foster Center for Student Innovation Presentation (link) – Jason Bolton, Academic Director of Innovation Engineering
11:05-11:15 Center for Innovation in Teaching (CITL) Presentation – Peter Schilling, Executive Director, CITL & Karen Pelletreau, Manager of Workshops, Programs, & Training, CITL
11:15-12:30 Lunch (Wells Conference Center)
Within the lobby of Neville Hall, please find your orientation tour leaders according to the group number on your nametag (Group 1, 2, or 3). Tour leaders will distribute dining coupons to students who have attended the day’s activities and will guide you to Wells.
The following activities are intended for those who are new to the UMaine campus.
12:30-1:45 Campus Tour – Meet your Orientation Leader at a previously agreed-upon meeting place.
1:45-3:15 Concurrent Activities – Groups will rotate between the following three sessions:
- Library Tutorial – Nancy Lewis, Head, Reference Services Department (Library Classroom)
- Library Tour – Fogler Librarian (Fogler Library)
- UM Web Portal Tutorial – Glenn Eichel, IT Services (CETA Classroom)
3:30-4:30 Optional Tour of Foster Innovation Center – Renee Kelly, Director of Economic Development Initiatives
Meet between Library and Union at 3:20.
5:00–7:00 GSG Social – Stodder Hall, Rm 57
Come to the Graduate School for a night of socializing and networking, and enjoy catering by The Roost. Then, from 6:00-9:00, join us on a Pub Crawl to get to know the local craft breweries in downtown Orono. Be sure to wear your wristlet (found in your folder) to receive special discounts.