First Semester Checklist
FIRST SEMESTER CHECKLIST FOR NEW GRADUATE STUDENTS
Here are some important steps to prepare you for your first semester at UMaine as a graduate student:
- Confirm your admission in your applicant dashboard.
- Register for classes by contacting your advisor to find out which classes to take for your first semester and completing the registration form. Your advisor can sign this form or send an email to Gail Boucher approving your courses.
- Complete a housing application if you are thinking about living on campus. Information about the available on campus options can be found at the Housing Services website.
- Secure funding
- Contact your supervisor if you are on an assistantship to be sure all the necessary paperwork has been submitted.
- Enter your anticipated resources into MaineStreet to avoid a late fee. If a 3rd party (assistantship, employer, loan) is paying for your tuition and/or fees, you will want to enter this amount into anticipated resources. Instructions on how to enter your anticipated resources can be found on the Bursar’s Office website.
- Get a parking permit at Parking Services in DTAV or at the MaineCard Service Center in the Memorial Union.
- Get your MaineCard at MaineCard Service Center.
- The MaineCard is your on‐campus ID and you must be registered before you can get it.
- It serves as your library card, and you are able to deposit money on it and use as cash (tax-free!) on campus and at many local businesses.
- It is also can be used as a pass for traveling on the Bangor Area Transit bus system for free!
- Contact UMaineOnline if you are an online student. They can help answer your questions about getting set up!