What is a UMS Account? Why do I Need it?
A University of Maine System (UMS) account is used to access system-wide technology services such as Blackboard, MaineStreet, and @maine.edu email accounts. These accounts are universal across all seven UMS campuses.
All graduate students are expected to actively use the accounts created for them.
- The UMS @maine.edu email account is the primary means of communication where important messages concerning financial aid, graduate assistantships, health insurance, program changes, and eventually, graduation will be sent.
- Check your @maine.edu account regularly or forward it to another email account.
Students new to the University of Maine System will have accounts created for them at the time of application. These new accounts should be activated as soon as the Student ID number and account activation code have been received from the Graduate School.
Students with existing/prior enrollment at any UMS campus will be able to continue to use their existing UMS accounts. Those able to currently access their accounts do NOT need to activate them.
If any technical difficulties are experienced in activating or logging in, please call the IT Help Center at 207.581.2506 for assistance.
How to Activate Your Account
- Go to mail.maine.edu/um/ActivateAccount.
- Read the instructions presented on the screen.
- Enter the 7-digit Student ID number and account activation key provided via email after you confirmed your admission. If you do not have the account activation code, please contact the IT Help Center at 207.581.2506.
- Once you have completed the activation process go to MaineStreet and navigate to Student Self Service -> Student Center.
- The Student Center is where students enroll in courses after their first semester, update contact information, and review their student bills among other things. NOTE: If you enrolling in your first semester of graduate classes, you will need to submit a completed Registration Form.