Registration and Courses
How to Register
- Newly admitted students will register through the Graduate School by submitting a signed Registration form or by having their advisor send an email to Gail Boucher.
- Current students can register themselves within MaineStreet.
- Non-degree students can email Gail Boucher with the course information and include the permission from the instructor (if applicable).
When to Register
- Full-time Status: Full-time students must register each semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.
- Part-time Status: Part-time students must register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree.
Study Away Registration
A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at the University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in the University of Maine system or at another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine. Students should complete the Study Away form and return to us for signatures.
Definition of Credit Hour
The University of Maine and the University of Maine at Machias acknowledge and adhere to the federal definition of a credit hour with respect to courses offered face to face, in hybrid format, and online, as developed in 2010 and published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 34, Part 600.02:
[A] credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than
(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit [ . . . ] or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
(2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution[,] including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the awarding of credit hours.
Administrative Specialist: Non-Degree Applications, Registration, Add/Drop