The Graduate School Commencement Ceremony will now confer the degrees of all graduate students will be held on Friday, May 8th at 4 p.m. in the Harold Alfond Arena. All students (master’s, CAS, EdS, and doctoral candidates) with conferred degrees from December 2019 and candidates for degree in May and August 2020 will attend the Friday ceremony only.
Faculty Attendance Confirmation
Faculty must complete the Faculty Regalia & Attendance Form (here) if they plan on attending the May 8th Commencement ceremony. Regalia must be worn at all Commencement ceremonies. Reserved regalia may be picked up in the Bookstore beginning in early May. For information on the undergraduate Commencement ceremonies, please go to umaine.edu/commencement.
Any faculty requiring special seating accommodation should contact Kathleen Harding-Heber by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 24th.
Faculty members will march from the New Balance Field House to the Harold Alfond Arena, similar to the procession for the undergraduate Commencement ceremonies on Saturday.
Faculty members are expected to report to the Field House in regalia on May 8th. There is no rehearsal for Commencement ceremonies, so please be sure to follow instructions for the line-up, marching, etc. on the day of the ceremony.
Executive Committee Members will report to the volunteer staff to be lined up appropriately. College Dean’s will report to the volunteer staff in the Field House to lead the student line for each college.
Review the What to Expect document for more information!
Doctoral Candidate Eligibility
Doctoral candidates graduating in August may participate in Commencement ceremonies if ALL of the following requirements are met:
- File for August graduation in MaineStreet (http://studentrecords.umaine.edu/graduation). Applying for May graduation is only for students completing all requirements by the May deadlines
- Submit a Notice of Oral Examination to the Graduate School (2 weeks prior to the defense)
- Submit a tentative dissertation to the Graduate School at least 24 hours prior to the defense
- Successfully present and orally defend the dissertation by the last Friday in April. Committee members must sign the Final Thesis Acceptance Form at the defense
- Submit a copy of the Final Thesis Acceptance Form demonstrating an affirmative vote of the Committee. The original form must accompany the final dissertation with the other required doctoral forms
Immediately following the ceremony, a reception with light refreshments for all guests will be held in Wells Conference Center.