The Graduate School Commencement Ceremony to confer the degrees of master’s and Certificate of Advanced Studies students will be held on Friday, May 10th at 4 p.m. in the Harold Alfond Arena. Doctoral candidates will be recognized at the May 10th ceremony and will have their degrees conferred at the Saturday, May 11th Commencement Ceremony in the Harold Alfond Arena. We will be honoring graduate students with conferred degrees from December 2018 and candidates for degree in May and August 2019.
Faculty Attendance Confirmation
Faculty must complete the Faculty Regalia & Attendance Form (available here) if they plan on attending the May 10th or May 11th Commencement ceremonies. This form must be completed by no later than April 6, 2019. Regalia must be worn at all Commencement ceremonies. Reserved regalia may be picked up in the Bookstore beginning on May 6th. For information on the May 11th Commencement, please go to umaine.edu/commencement.
Any faculty requiring special seating accommodation should contact Kathleen Harding-Heber by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 26th.
The 2019 Graduate School Commencement Ceremony will mirror the undergraduate ceremony on Saturday with faculty processing from the New Balance Field House.
Faculty members are expected to report to the Field House in regalia by 3:20 PM on May 10th. There is no rehearsal for either Commencement ceremonies, so please be sure to follow instructions for the line-up, marching, etc. on the day of the ceremony.
Executive Committee Members will report to the volunteer staff to be lined up appropriately. College Dean’s will report to the volunteer staff in the Field House to lead the student line for each college.
Review the What to Expect document for more information!
Doctoral Candidate Eligibility
Doctoral candidates graduating in August may participate in Commencement ceremonies if ALL of the following requirements are met:
- File for August graduation in MaineStreet (http://studentrecords.umaine.edu/graduation). Applying for May graduation is only for students completing all requirements by the May deadlines
- Submit a Notice of Oral Examination to the Graduate School (2 weeks prior to the defense)
- Submit a tentative dissertation to the Graduate School at least 24 hours prior to the defense
- Successfully present and orally defend the dissertation by the last Friday in April. Committee members must sign the Final Thesis Acceptance Form at the defense
- Submit a copy of the Final Thesis Acceptance Form demonstrating an affirmative vote of the Committee. The original form must accompany the final dissertation with the other required doctoral forms
Immediately following the ceremony, a reception with light refreshments for all guests will be held in Wells Conference Center.