Graduate Commencement Ceremony
The inaugural Graduate Commencement Ceremony to confer the degrees of master’s and Certificate of Advanced Studies students will be held on Friday, May 11th at 3 p.m. in the Harold Alfond Arena. Doctoral candidates will be recognized at the May 11th ceremony, and will have their degrees conferred at the Saturday, May 12th Commencement Ceremony in the Harold Alfond Arena. We will be honoring graduate students with conferred degrees from December 2017, and candidates for degree in May and August 2018.
Faculty Attendance Confirmation
Faculty must complete the Faculty Regalia & Attendance Form if they plan on attending the May 11th or May 12th Commencement ceremonies. Regalia must be worn at all Commencement ceremonies. Reserved regalia may be picked up in the Bookstore beginning on May 7th. For information on the May 12th Commencement, please go to umaine.edu/commencement.
Any faculty requiring special seating accommodation should contact Crystal Burgess by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 27th.
All participating faculty should assemble in regalia at the skate changing area on the lower level (near the Zamboni entrance) in the Alfond Arena. Arrive no later than 2:15 p.m.
Ushers will be present to assist with the procession. Faculty may return rented regalia to the Bookstore staff after Commencement on May 12th.
Doctoral Candidate Eligibility
Doctoral candidates graduating in August may participate in Commencement ceremonies if ALL of the following requirements are met:
- File for August graduation in MaineStreet (http://studentrecords.umaine.edu/graduation). Applying for May graduation is only for students completing all requirements by the May deadlines
- Submit a Notice of Oral Examination to the Graduate School (2 weeks prior to the defense)
- Submit a tentative dissertation to the Graduate School at least 24 hours prior to the defense
- Successfully present and orally defend the dissertation by the last Friday in April. Committee members must sign the Final Thesis Acceptance Form at the defense
- Submit a copy of the Final Thesis Acceptance Form demonstrating an affirmative vote of the Committee. The original form must accompany the final dissertation with the other required doctoral forms
Immediately following the ceremony, a reception with light refreshments for all guests will be held in Wells Conference Center.