A Fellowship is not the same as an Assistantship. Fellowships only require that you make satisfactory progress in your program, where an Assistantship requires you to work 20 hours per week.
Since you are not working for your fellowship, your stipend is paid through the Accounts Payable system vs Payroll. What does this mean for you …
- You will be paid in the middle of the month, versus the end of the month for assistantships
- Taxes will not be withheld from your monthly stipend check
- You cannot setup payroll deduction for your student account balance
- You will need to fill out a W-9 form to be setup in the Accounts Payable system
- You will need to enroll in PayMode in order to get your monthly stipend check direct deposited, otherwise you will have a check mailed to you the address on your W-9 form
- Fellowships are counted as a resource in your financial aid calculation, where assistantship are not included in this calculation
Some or all of your fellowship stipend may be taxable as income. Please refer to the IRS publication for details. You will not receive a W-2 or 1099-MISC at the end of the year from the University of Maine. If you would like a listing of your stipend payments for the year, please contact Tammy Crosby.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, then you should complete the W-8BEN, instead of the W9.
Setting up Direct Deposit
Direct deposit of your fellowship stipend check is possible through PayMode.
To enroll in PayMode:
- Follow the on screen instructions to create the account.
- You should enter your name (first and last) in fields that request supplier company name.
- Log into your PayMode Account to confirm the deposit and access remittance details.
- Once you receive an email from PayMode that you have been successfully setup, please forward the email to email@example.com to let them know that you are setup.
You must have an active BOA PayMode Account in order to utilize this service.
There is no cost to enroll in or use PayMode.
Please note: The enrollment process may take several weeks depending on how quickly BOA is able to verify your enrollment information.