Registration and Courses
How to Register
- Newly admitted students will register through the Graduate School by submitting a signed Registration form or by having their advisor send an email to Gail Mahan.
- Current students can register themselves within MaineStreet or by submitting a signed Registration form or by having their advisor send an email to Gail Mahan.
When to Register
- Full-time Status: Full-time students must register each semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.
- Part-time Status: Part-time students must register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree.
Study Away Registration
A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at the University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in the University of Maine system or at another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine. Students should complete the Study Away form and return to us for signatures.
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training Requirement
All students enrolled in graduate research masters (thesis) or doctoral programs must receive one credit of RCR training prior to completing the degree, preferably prior to commencing the research.
At the advisory committee’s or Graduate Coordinator’s discretion, this credit may be substituted for one of the 6 required thesis/dissertation credits (XXX699). Students must take the RCR training before the completion of 3 credits of XXX699. The Graduate School will provide a list of acceptable options for fulfilling the RCR training requirement.
RCR Courses Approved by the Graduate Board:
- BIO 505 – Professionalism in Biology (2 cr)
- CMJ 600 – Introduction to Graduate Study in Communication (2 cr)
- FSN 524 – Responsible Design, Conduct and Analysis of Research (3 cr)
- INT 601 – Responsible Conduct of Research (1 cr)
- PSY 603 – Ethics and Professional Problems (3 cr)
- SFR 521 – Research Methods (3 cr)
- SMS 691 – Marine Science Seminar (1 cr)
Updated March 9, 2016