Application Information for Degree Programs
A bachelor’s degree is required for ALL master’s, C.A.S., Ed.S., and doctoral programs. Departmental requirements for degree-seeking students may be found on department websites or by contacting the graduate coordinator.
Application Fee Waivers
- IRT Scholars will receive an application fee waiver.
- McNair Scholars will receive an application fee waiver.
- Current and former US Armed Forces members/dependents will receive an application fee waiver.
- Alumni from a University of Maine System institution will receive an application fee waiver.
Letters of Recommendation*
Letters of recommendation need to be sent from faculty members or those who can address your ability to perform graduate-level coursework. A link to a form will be emailed directly to your recommenders as you are filling out your application.
*Required for most programs. Check with your department about admission requirements before starting your application.
An official transcript of all previous college or university work must be submitted directly from the previous institution to our office. We will obtain all transcripts from the University of Maine System campuses.
It is highly recommended to submit unofficial transcripts within the application to expedite the admission process.
Graduate Examination Scores
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score reports are required for admission in most programs. Check with your program for requirements.
- UMaine institution code: 3916
- Applicants to the MBA program should submit Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores in lieu of the GRE, however, GRE scores may be accepted on a case by case basis.
- UMaine institution code: 1ZF-RM-18
- Applicants to the Master of Education and the Master of Nursing programs may submit Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores in lieu of the GRE.
- UMaine institution code: 1278
- Official English proficiency examination scores are required unless you have received a degree from an English-speaking institution. Note: academic units may request English proficiency examination scores from those who received a degree from an English-speaking institution if graduate examination scores are below average. We accept the following score reports directly from the testing agency:
- Certification of Finances: The I-20 will not be issued until original bank statements, affidavits of support, or other current financial documents are received.
- A copy of your passport or visa to aid in processing I-20 paperwork.
Additional Supporting Materials
Please check with the graduate coordinator of your intended program for any additional supporting materials required.
Fall applicants who wish to be considered for assistantships or fellowships should submit an application and all supporting materials by January 15th of that year. All programs set their own application deadlines, check the program website or with the graduate coordinator.
Application Decision Process
- The application and supplemental materials are received and processed by a member of our admissions team.
- Once the application and supplemental materials are received, program coordinators receive all materials for review.
- The reviewing committee for your program will review your file and make an admission recommendation.
- The Graduate School admissions team will receive the admission recommendation and conduct a final review.
- Once the final review is complete, the team will send out the official decision to you via your applicant dashboard.
Things to Keep in Mind
Please allow 3-4 weeks for credentials to be received and for the processing of your application. This time frame may be shorter if you submit a complete application and possibly longer during peak application periods (December – February).
Materials submitted become the property of the University of Maine and are not returned to the applicant.
Submitting Multiple Applications
Please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org when you begin your second application to determine if you are eligible for a fee discount or waiver.
Submitting a Readmission Application
Students interested in returning to complete their degree program after a period of not enrolling must apply for readmission. Readmission applicants should complete the online Readmission Application. Contact our office at email@example.com if you have questions about your student status.