Degree Application Information
Important Note: The Graduate School implemented a new online application on September 18, 2017. Those who started an application with our old online system should submit a new application.
A bachelor’s degree is required for ALL master’s, C.A.S. and doctoral programs. Departmental requirements for degree seeking students may be found in the program descriptions in the online graduate catalog.
Application Fees and Fee Waivers
- Applications will not be reviewed until the non-refundable application fee has been received.
- Online Application: $65.00
- Multiple Applications: $10.00 for each additional program (see additional information below)
- McNair Scholars will receive an application fee waiver.
- Current and former US Armed Forces members will receive an application fee waiver.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation need to be sent from faculty members or those who can address your success in graduate education.
An official transcript of all previous college or university work must be submitted directly from the previous institution to our office. We will obtain all transcripts from the University of Maine System campuses.
Graduate Examination Scores
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score reports are required for admission in most programs. Check with your program for requirements.
- UMaine institution code: 3916
- Applicants to the MBA program should submit Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores in lieu of the GRE, however GRE scores may be accepted on a case by case basis.
- UMaine institution code: 1ZF-RM-18
- Applicants to the Master of Education and the Master of Nursing programs may submit Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores in lieu of the GRE.
- UMaine institution code: 1278
- Official English proficiency examination scores are required unless you have received a degree from an English-speaking institution. We accept the following score reports directly from the testing agency:
- Certification of Finances: The I-20 will not be issued until original bank statements, affidavits of support, or other current financial documents are received
- A copy of your passport or visa to aid in processing I-20 paperwork
Additional Supporting Materials
Please check with the graduate coordinator of your intended program for any additional supporting materials required.
Fall applicants who wish to be considered for assistantships or fellowships should submit an application and all supporting materials by January 15th of that year. All programs set their own individuals application deadlines, so please check the program website or with the graduate coordinator.
- The application (including personal essay) and fee are received and processed by a member of our admissions team
- Supporting materials received prior to the application are processed and forwarded to your program once the application and fee are processed by our admissions team
- Once the application and fee is received, the program coordinators receive materials within 7 business days
- The reviewing committee for your program will review your file and make an admission recommendation
- The Graduate School admissions team will receive the admission recommendation and conduct a final review
- Once the final review is complete, the team will send out the official decision to you
Things to Keep in Mind
Please allow 6-8 weeks for credentials to be received and for the processing of your application. This time frame may be shorter if you submit a complete application and possibly longer during peak application periods (December – February).
Materials submitted become the property of the University and are not returned to the applicant.
Submitting Multiple Applications
Applicants seeking admission to multiple programs should submit a graduate application, essay, and $10 fee for any additional program.
The $10 fee is waived for those applicants continuing on to another degree within the same program (i.e. PhD following a Master’s degree).
Submitting a Readmission Application
Students who have broken enrollment must apply for readmission before being allowed to continue working toward the degree. Readmission applicants should complete the online Re-Admission Application.