Balunkeswar (Balu) Nayak
Associate Professor of Food Processing
Degree: Ph. D. 2011, Washington State University
Location: 109 Hitchner Hall
Professional Interests: Sustainable food processing technologies and methodologies to develop foods of future; Healthy foods from phytochemicals/bioactive compounds in vegetables, fruits and cereals; reduction of food waste through sustainable food preservation and processing.
Teaching: FSN 330 Introduction to Food Science, FSN 340 Food Processing Laboratory, FSN 485 Introduction to Food Engineering Principles, FSN 486 Food Engineering Laboratory, FSN 517 Food Safety and Quality Control
Research: Design and development of sustainable food processing technologies and methodologies for health enhanced food value-added products. Application of theoretical and experimental methods for optimization and validation of processes and products using food engineering fundamentals. Development of preservation and processing technologies to reduce food waste.
- Patel, AS., Lakshmibalasubramaniam, S. and Nayak, B.* (2020). Steric stabilization of phycobiliprotein-loaded liposome through Polyethylene glycol adsorbed cellulose nanocrystals and their impact on the gastrointestinal tract. Food Hydrocolloids, 98, 105252.
- Sappati, PK., Nayak, B.* and VanWalsum, GP. (2019). Thermophysical properties prediction of brown seaweed (Saccharina latissima) using artificial neural networks (ANNs) and empirical models. International Journal of Food Properties. DOI: 10.1080/10942912.2019.1691588.
- Patel, A.S., Kar, A., Pradhan, R.C., Mohapatra, D. and Nayak, B.* (2019). Effects of baking temperature on the proximate composition, amino acids and protein quality of de-oiled bottle gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) seed cake fortified biscuit. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 106, 247 – 253.
- Sappati, PK., Nayak, B.*, VanWalsum, GP. and Mulrey, OT. (2019). Combined effects of seasonal variation and drying methods on the physicochemical properties and antioxidant activity of sugar kelp (Saccharina latissima). Journal of Applied Phycology, 31 (2) pp. 1311-1332.
- Jayasena, S., Koppelman, SJ., Nayak, B., Taylor, ST. and Baumert, JL. (2019). Comparison of recovery and immunochemical detection of peanut proteins from differentially roasted peanut flour using ELISA, Food Chemistry, 292, 32 – 38.
- Lv, L., Lin, H., Li, Z., Nayak, B., Ahmed, I., Tian, S., Chen, G., Lin, H. and Zhao, J. (2018). Structural changes of 2, 2′-Azobis (2-amidinopropane) dihydrochloride (AAPH) treated shrimp tropomyosin decrease allergenicity. Food Chemistry. Online on Sept 5, 2018.
- Sappati, P., Nayak, B. and vanWalsum, P. (2017). Effect of glass transition on the shrinkage of Sugar Kelp (Saccharina latissima) during hot air convective drying. Journal of Food Engineering, 210, pp 50 – 61.