Maine's Alternative Certification Mentoring Program
Maine’s Alternative Certification Mentoring Program is a partnership between the Maine Department of Education Office of Special Services and the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development.
MACM supports new, conditionally certified special educators working toward professional certification.
MACM has the following broad goals:
- Support conditionally certified special educators during their first year of practice
- Work with Local Education Authorities (LEAs) and educational collaboratives to develop special educator mentoring capacity across the state
- Develop and make available mentor training and professional development resources for LEAs and educational collaboratives
MACM works with local education authorities to ensure that new conditionally certified special educators receive mentoring from trained special education mentors. Additionally, MACM participants are required to successfully complete MACM Special Education Internship, an online graduate course designed to meet the needs of new special educators. This seminar course counts toward credits needed for professional certification.
For More Information, please contact:
Valerie M. Smith, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Maine’s Alternative Certification Mentoring Program
The May 20 Special Education Mentor Module 4 has been postponed. We will reschedule the training for early August.
- For Novice SED Mentors (who have not had mentor training in the past): The Special Educator Mentor Training is open to all who wish to be trained. There are three online modules and one daylong live module.
- For Experienced SED Mentors: The SED Mentor Refresher Course is now open! This consists of four online modules.
New Resources for 2020!
The Special Educator Mentor Handbook has been revised and includes additional resources for working with paraprofessionals:
The new Special Educator Handbook has also been revised and also includes new paraprofessional resources:
The updated MACM brochure is available for download: