Degree overview
The graduate programs in science education at the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development provide classroom teachers with a strong foundation to offer specialized instruction in science to students in elementary, middle and high schools. Students in our master’s programs (M.S., M.Ed.) split time between coursework in education and classes in a specific science field. Study may be broadened to include areas such as outdoor education, recreation or community education. We also offer a Certificate of Advanced Study degree that provides an opportunity for study beyond the master’s degree.

Careers in science education
Our graduates are educators in fields such as physics, biology, environmental, earth and marine sciences. Many of our former students become curriculum coordinators and school administrators, or pursue their doctorate in the field of science education.

Program delivery
Students in one of our master’s program can choose either the thesis (M.S.) or non-thesis (M.Ed.) option.

  • M.Ed.: The Master of Education degree program requires a minimum of 33 credit hours. It is designed primarily for current science teachers who wish to strengthen their practice. Students must take 15 credits in education and 12-15 credits in a major science subject area. This program does not lead to teacher certification. For students seeking teacher certification, please see the Master of Science in Teaching degree.
  • M.S.: The Master of Science degree is a thesis program that requires a minimum of 30 credit hours divided between education and a major science subject area. Students in this program work closely with a faculty advisor to engage in original research in science education.
  • C.A.S.: The Certificate of Advanced Study program includes an individually planned course of study developed by the student and advisor. The program may include half the coursework in professional education and the other half in an area of concentration such as science or environmental studies.

To apply
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in education or a specific scientific area. Applications are processed through the University of Maine Graduate School. For more details on how to apply, contact Administrative Assistant for Graduate Records Jo-Ellen Carr,