Visiting Assistant Professor in Human Development and Family Studies
331A Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5749
Bio: Patrick Cheek is a visiting assistant professor in human development and family studies at the University of Maine. Dr. Cheek specializes in both live and online teaching, and has taught previously in the University of Maine System, the Maine Community College System and at the University of Minnesota. His teaching philosophy is centered on improving students’ critical thinking and writing skills as well as engaging students in research, service and family policy. Since coming to UMaine, Dr. Cheek has developed several research collaborations at the college level and the national level. His current research interests include nonresident fatherhood, family poverty, rural families and building scholarship on his teaching practices.
Ph.D. in Family Social Science, 2015, University of Minnesota
M.S. in Human Development, 2009, University of Maine
B.A. in Social Science, 2007, University of Maine at Augusta
Courses taught at UMaine
- CHF 404: Fatherhood and Families
- CHF 404: Poverty in U.S. Families
- CHF 423: Senior Seminar
- CHF 452: Violence in the Family
- CHF 488: Family Legal Issues
- HUD 511: Seminar in Family Relations
- HUD 551: Fundamentals of Human Development
- HUD 554: Legislation and Policy in Human Development
- HUD 556: Family Research Methods
Sample publications and research
- Cheek, P., & Solheim, C. (2018). The facilitating role of communication technology in nonresident father–teen relationships. The Family Journal 26(3). doi: 10.1177/1066480718795707
- Cheek, P. & Gillon, K. (2018). Parent-child relationships and university participation in rural families. Paper presented at 2018 National Council on Family Relations conference, San Diego, CA.
- Cheek, P., Reinke, J., & DellaMattera, J. (2018). The use of grade contracts in human development and family studies courses. Round table presented at 2018 National Council on Family Relations conference, San Diego, CA.
- Fuller, C., Caron, S., & Cheek, P. (2017). The impact of abortion stigma: interviews with college women who experienced abortion. Poster presented at 2017 National Council on Family Relations conference, Orlando, FL.