Assistant Professor of Special Education
305 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469
Bio: Joshua Taylor is an Assistant Professor of Special Education in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Maine. His research focuses on promoting lifelong success for individuals with autism and developmental disabilities through implementation of evidence-based practices in inclusive school, work, and community settings. He earned a Ph.D. in special education from Virginia Commonwealth University with a focus on research-to-policy implementation, and a Master’s in Education from the University of Virginia. Josh’s background is in public school settings, where he has over 10 years of experience as a special education teacher and autism specialist in Arlington Public Schools (Virginia) and most recently as a Research, Training, and Technical Assistance Associate with the Virginia Commonwealth University’s Rehabilitation Research and Training Center (VCU-RRTC). Much of Josh’s work includes collaboration outside of schools with diverse stakeholders such as museums and cultural arts centers, community rehabilitation providers, and others engaged in supporting youth and adults with autism and other developmental disabilities.
Ph.D., 2021, Virginia Commonwealth University
M.Ed., 2013, University of Virginia
B.A., 2005, Kennesaw State University
Courses taught at UMaine
- SED 528: Evidence-Based Instruction for Students with Autism and Low Incidence Disabilities
- SED 587: Collaboration and Transition
- SED 536: Educational Strategies for Students with Severe Disabilities
- SED 553: Assessment in Special Education I
- SED 556: Assessment for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Severe Disabilities
- Taylor, J., Avellone, L., Brooke, V., Wehman, P., Inge, K., Schall, C., & Iwanaga, K. (2022). The impact of competitive integrated employment on economic, psychological and physical health outcomes for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities.
- Taylor, J. P., Whittenburg, H. N., Rooney-Kron, M., Gokita, T., Lau, S. J., Thoma, C. A., & Scott, L. A. (2021). Implementation of Pre–Employment Transition Services: A Content Analysis of Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act State Plans. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals.
- Taylor, J., Avellone, L., Cimera, R., Brooke, V., Lambert, A., & Iwanaga, K. (2021). Cost-benefit analyses of employment services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A scoping review. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 54(2), 1–14.
- Fong, C.J., Taylor, J., Berdyyeva, A., McClelland, A., Murphy, K.M., & Westbrook, J.D. (2021). Interventions for Improving Employment Outcomes for Persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Systematic Review Update. Campbell Systematic Reviews.
- Taylor, J., Rooney, M., Avellone, L., Seward, H., Whittenburg, H., & Thoma, C. (2020). Inclusion of students with intellectual and developmental disabilities & postsecondary outcomes: A systematic review of the literature. Inclusion, 8(4).
- Wehman, P., Taylor, J., Brooke, V., Avellone, L., Whittenburg, H., Ham, W., … Carr, S. (2018). Toward Competitive Employment for Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: What Progress Have We Made and Where Do We Need to Go. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 43(3), 131–144.