Ian M. Mette
Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership
334 Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469
Bio: Ian M. Mette is an Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership at the University of Maine. His research and teaching interests include school reform, instructional supervision, and the merging of the two to drive meaningful improvement of educational systems. Specifically, his work targets how educators, researchers, and policy makers can better inform one another to drive school improvement and reform policy. Dr. Mette has experience as a teacher and central office coordinator, and has worked at two other rural state universities prior to coming to the University of Maine. He is currently program chair for the American Educational Research Association’s Supervision and Instructional Leadership special interest group, and a board member for the journal Diversity, Social Justice, and the Educational Leader. Additionally, Dr. Mette is the coordinator for the newly revised Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program and is editor of the Journal of Educational Supervision which is housed at the University of Maine.
Ph.D. in PK-12 Educational Administration, University of Missouri
Courses taught at UMaine
- EAD 510: Educational Supervision
- EAD 560: Theories and Functions of Leadership Part I
- EAD 560: Theories and Functions of Leadership Part II
- EAD 651: Organizational Behavior in Education
- EAD 676: Seminar in Educational Leadership
- Biddle, C., Mette, I. M., & Mercado, A. (2018). Partnering with schools for community development: Power imbalances in rural community collaboratives addressing childhood adversity. Community Development, 49(2), 191-210
- Mette, I. M., & Riegel, L. (2018). Supervision, systems thinking, and the impact of American school reform efforts on instructional leadership. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, 21(2), 1-18
- Developing leadership pipelines in Maine school districts: Lessons learned from a school-university partnership. Maine Policy Review.
- Mette, I. M., Range, B. G., Anderson, J., Hvidston, D. J., Nieuwenhuizen, L, & Doty, J. (2017). The wicked problem of the intersection between supervision and evaluation. International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education, 9(3), 709-724
- Mette, I. M., Nieuwenhuizen, L., & Hvidston, D. J. (2016). Teachers’ perceptions of culturally responsive pedagogy and the impact on leadership preparation: Lessons for future reform efforts. International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 11(1), 120-139.
Follow Ian on Twitter: @IanMette