How our meal plans work
Resident students can choose from specific meal plan options based upon their year and where they live on campus.
“Unlimited Dining” Plans
Enjoy unlimited dining in Hilltop, Wells Central and York — our residential all-you-care-to-eat facilities. Stop in as often as you’d like during operating hours for a full meal, quick snack or cup of coffee with friends! No keeping track of meals. No worrying about cash. Use your MaineCard for anytime access to regular meals, special events and theme dinners at any of these locations!
Many UMaine Meal Plans include six guest/to-go meal swipes per semester. You may use these meal swipes to take a guest to an all-you-care-to-eat meal at Hilltop, Wells Central or York. You must accompany your guest into the dining facility and tell the cashier that you wish to use a meal swipe for that person’s meal. At that time, two meals will be deducted from your account — one for you and one for your guest. You may also choose to take a meal out of the facility by letting the cashier know, and they will assist you.
Flex Dining Plans
Meal plans designated as “Flex” include Dining Funds for snacks or the occasional convenience dining in our à la carte locations, like the Bear’s Den or our convenience markets on campus. Dining Funds operate as a declining balance (debit) account. Your Flex plan includes an initial amount of Dining Funds that are accessed via your MaineCard. Each time you make a purchase, you get a discount off of the regular cash price and the appropriate amount of Dining Funds are deducted from your account.
Dining Funds Specifics:
- Receive a 5 percent discount off of cash price of all-you-care-to-eat meals at Hilltop, Wells Central and York. (Please note that although you can use Dining Funds, your greatest value is with meal swipes.)
- Receive a 5 percent discount at our convenience market at Hilltop, and our retail locations such as the Bear’s Den, Bear’s Den Café and Pub, and Oakes Room Café.
- You may load additional Dining Funds into your account in increments of $25 or more by visiting the MaineCard Service Center in the Memorial Union. Dining Funds may be charged to your Student Account.
- Dining Funds are non-refundable, but carry over from fall to spring semester.
- Dining Funds expire the day after commencement.
Black Bear Bucks:
This declining debit account on your MaineCard is NOT a part of any of our UMaine meal plans but is still a great option. Click here for the differences between Dining Funds and Black Bear Bucks.
Other Plans A few additional plans provide for a specific number of visits to all-you-care-to-eat resident dining facilities each semester.