Green Container Program
The Bear’s Den Green Container Program is ready to help you reduce your packaging waste while also rewarding you for returning to the Den to purchase your meals and snacks. For just a simple $5 investment you’ll get your first container to put your meal into and then bring it back at each trip and exchange for a new, sanitized container.
Help us reduce the packaging that ends up in the trash and maintain UMaine’s commitment to the environment
using sustainable initiatives.
When you’re done with the program, you can return your container and ask to opt out of the program to get your $5 back.
How it works:
- Purchase a $5 container voucher from a Bear’s Den cashier
- Present the voucher to a Bear’s Den venue for your first stickered container
- Use the container to take your meal to go
- At your next visit bring your old container and exchange for a sanitized, clean container
- Repeat as often as you like!
- Not interested in continuing in the program? Return the stickered container to the Bear’s Den for a $5 cash refund.
- Limit one per customer, per visit.
Facts about the program:
- To enroll in the program, purchase your initial voucher from a Bear’s Den cashier then redeem it at any venue in the Bear’s Den
- We recommend redeeming your container immediately after purchasing your voucher
- We can not be held liable for lost vouchers or lost containers
- No refund will be issued for a lost container
- Refunds are issued in cash
- You may use cash, credit or debit card or Black Bear Bucks to purchase a voucher for the program
- This program is only at the Bear’s Den at this time
Facts about the containers:
- Green Container Program containers are microwave safe and BPA-free
- When using at the Harvest (salad bar), ask for your replacement container at Eatily
- The three compartments inside the containers allow you to keep your food segmented
- Only containers that are marked with our sticker are eligible to be used as part of this program
- We have weighed the containers so that when you check out they do not affect any items that
need to be weighed (e.g. salad bar)