Worried about someone?

If you or someone you know is a danger to themselves or someone else, click here.

If you are worried about someone – or yourself – here are some things to look for, and some suggestions of what you can do to help:

What should you look for?

  • Shows significant changes in daily routine/daily patterns: Eating, sleeping, studying, class attendance, etc.
  • Shows change in social activity: Your friend that usually is social with friends is now not interacting in those same ways. This is not to be confused with a friend showing interest in different social activities than he/she has in the past, but rather, is now not engaging socially much at all, or considerably more than normal.
  • Overly pessimistic or negative attitude.
  • Engages in talk of death, suicide, end of life issues, morbid things.
  • Becomes engaged in high risk behaviors (risky drug & alcohol use, sexual activity, driving, etc.) that pose a threat to his/her health.
  • Doesn’t seem to be “themselves” over the course of several days. You have noticed that something just doesn’t seem to be right with them over an extended period of time, and is not due to any significant life event or loss.

What can you do about it?

  • Tell them of your concern, and ask if there is anything that you can do? Remember that many people might initially deny problems, but don’t be afraid to ask again.
  • Clearly demonstrate to the person that you are sincerely interested in being there for them, and not just there to find out some gossip or relish in their struggle.
  • If the person denies or does not want help, but clearly is in distress in some way, do not be afraid to ask another friend to talk with them, or to talk to them with you.
  • Tell your RA or another UMaine professional about your concern.
  • In the event of an emergency, contact UMPD at 207-581-4040 or call 911.
  • Contact Dr. Kenda Scheele or Andrea Gifford in the Dean of Students Office at 207-581-1406. The Dean’s Office is in a position to interact efficiently and compassionately with all departments on campus when supporting a student of concern.
  • Refer them to the Counseling Center. Help them make an appointment by calling or walking over with them, if they would like the assistance. Learn more about how to make an appointment.
  • Call the Counseling Center for advice from one of our clinical staff members 207-581-1392.
  • Be a good friend. Many issues that cause distress stem from feelings of social disconnectedness/feelings of unimportance/perceived lack of care and support from those around him/her. Your friendly efforts might be just what the person needs.
  • Help facilitate your friend finding activities on campus. i.e. campus activities, clubs, sporting events, etc.
  • Tell them to call 988 or check out the suicide/crisis lifeline