Commencement stage walk information
Commencement Stage Walks livestreams
Parents: Check with your graduate for his/her/their specific date and time
Graduates: check your tickets for your date and time (tickets issued April 13)
Virtual Commencement Presentation
Featuring congratulatory messages, stage walk recordings and photos of graduates
Available late May (date and time of release coming soon)
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need an accommodation or have questions about accessibility for the stage walk event and have not yet connected with Student Accessibility Services, please email Amy Sturgeon at email@example.com or call 207.581.2325.
2021 Commencement stage walk instructions
Please remember, there will be no guests or spectators either participating in the ceremony or present in the Collins Center for the Arts. The number of graduates and commencement staff in attendance to assist with the event is in accordance with COVID-19 health and safety requirements.
If you are feeling ill the day of your scheduled stage walk or are isolating or quarantining, please do not come to campus for this event.
The video recorded stage walks will be part of UMaine’s virtual commencement presentation, available in late May. Digital photos taken in the CCA after the stage walk will be available to graduates at no cost.
Here’s what you need to know to participate:
In preparation for your scheduled stage walk:
- Purchase your cap and gown at University Bookstore prior to the day of your stage walk. The bookstore hours and information about online ordering are here.
- If you are traveling to campus from out of state, please bring documentation of a negative COVID-19 test administered within 72 hours prior to arrival. Here is the latest pandemic-related travel guidance.
- Print out this email or have it readily available on your cell phone the day of your stage walk.
On the day of your stage walk:
- Wear your face covering at all times and maintain 6 feet of social distance when on campus.
- Park in the Collins Center for the Arts lot.
- Come to the Memorial Union via the front entrance facing Fogler Library.
- At the check-in table located in front of the Memorial Union information booth, please show this email, your MaineCard and documentation of a negative COVID test if you have arrived from out of state.
- Bring your cap and gown.
- Wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Do not bring personal belongings; there will be no place to leave them during the stage walk.
What to expect after check-in:
- Go to your staging area as directed from check-in — either Hauck Auditorium lobby or Bangor Lounge.
- In the staging area, put your regalia on. Mirrors will be available in each location.
- Receive a number for your stage walk that will be the order in which you will process across the CCA stage.
- Form a line, remaining 6 feet apart from the person in front of you, and proceed from your staging area to the Collins Center; ushers will direct you along the way. The line will move quickly, just as it does in our in-person commencement stage walks.
- Please do not leave any belongings in the staging area; participants will not be allowed to retrieve items after their stage walks.
In the Collins Center:
- Keep your face covering on at all times.
- Stay in line according to the number you received in the staging area.
- Upon entering the backstage area, deposit your line number, pick up a diploma cover and move to the off-stage computer microphone where you will pronounce your name for the announcer.
- An usher will cue you to march across the CCA stage.
- Follow the markings on the stage floor and progress to center stage.
- At the X, pause, turn toward the concert hall seats and then continue to walk off stage.
- Once off stage, pause to have your portrait taken. Keep your face covering on.
- Continue to proceed out the CCA door. Your stage walk is complete at this point. Please return to your room or vehicle and refrain from gathering with others for COVID safety. Please do not return to the Memorial Union.
Stage walk livestream schedule
The UMaine 2021 commencement stage walks of UMaine 2021 and 2020 graduates who have opted to participate will be livestreamed and videotaped for inclusion in our virtual commencement presentation available in May:
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk April 23 — Graduate School
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk April 26 — College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk April 27 — Maine Business School, College of Education and Human Development, Division of Lifelong Learning
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk April 28 — College of Engineering
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk April 29 — College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture
UMaine 2021 Commencement Stage Walk May 3 — Class of 2020