Event Registration Form
Student organizations hosting an event must register the event with Student Life/CASE.
Terms of Registration Form: The organization accepts full responsibility for the event stated below. In accepting this responsibility, the organization will assure that all applicable federal, state, county, city, and University of Maine laws and polices, as well as organization policies, are observed and/or enforced. The organization understands that they are required to monitor the behavior of all individuals in attendance during the event and to appropriately deal with misbehavior promptly. The organization understands that failure to abide by all terms of this agreement and all University policies/State law and regulations may result in disciplinary action. The organization understands that they cannot host/participate in this event without full completion of this registration form and emailed confirmation before the event.
Memorial Gym & Alfond Arena Reservations
To inquire about the Memorial Gym please call Ranee Dow (Administrative Assistant-Memorial Gym) @ 581-1074. Please note that you will need to hire a custodian to clean up after your event.
To inquire about Alfond rentals please call Betty Fadrigon (Administrative Assistant) @ 581-1096. Please note that if the hockey team is in season, you may need to pay for the bus rental and ice time for the team to practice elsewhere.
Media Services (for audio visual needs)
Fogler Library, 581-2500
“Media Service provides equipment and instruction on its use to University students and faculty. The equipment is intended for short projects and classroom presentations. For any other technical equipment or service you may require, contact us. We may be able to provide help.” (taken from the AV Services brochure)
- LCD projectors
- Laptop Computers
- Projector Screens
- Slide Projectors
- Overhead Projectors
- Tape Recorders
- Tri Pods
- Portable Sound Systems
- Digital Still camera
- Digital Video Cameras
- Color Monitors
- VHS & DVD Players
Buchanan Alumni House Reservations
Kathy Hill, Buchanan Alumni House Manager, 581-1176
Located just off College Avenue on campus is the Buchanan Alumni House. This building offers space for groups to hold special events. Use of this building may require the payment of a rental fee depending on time & day of event.
Some spaces include:
McIntire Maine Event Room:
Seats up to 120 people at tables or 160 people theatre style offers a large screen, cable TV, VCR, DVD/CD player, projector, & Grand Piano. Setting is formal and private.
Rental fee: There is no charge if used during the normal business hours. The rental fee is $400.00 (for the first 4 hours and $100.00 per hour thereafter) for 5:00 p.m. on. This fee includes the use of the room (no kitchen use), its equipment, including the sound system, tables, & chairs, as well as post-event clean up fees.
Note: This room may not be booked more than three months in advance.
The Courtyard may be used by student groups at no charge during the daytime building hours but will be subject to a $400 rental fee for events that run after hours. This is only a summer rental option and is an open courtyard.
The Andrews Leadership Hall can seat up to 30 people for meetings or a luncheon. Setting is neither formal nor private.
Grounds & Facilities Management
This department provides chairs (metal, folding, non-padded) and tables (30 x 8ft.), at a fee. Please contact their office for more information.
Tel-Com (for cell phones for student use)
Lorelei Kennedy, 581-1609
Office staff may rent a cell phone out for $7/day plus usage for a maximum of two weeks for their group/organization’s need.
*Please note that whoever picks up and rents out the phone needs to be a staff member (such as an advisor).
Memorial Union Reservations
Within the Memorial Union are rooms for group/organizations to use for meetings and programs. There is also the option of reserving a table in the Union to promote an event/fundraiser your group or organization might be doing. When reserving a room please know the dates, times and approximate number of people that will be using the room.
To inquire about how to reserve a room or tableplease call Nancy Morin at 581-1406. You need to provide details of all equipment you will need for your event. Audio Visual equipment should be reserved through MEDIA SERVICES, Fogler Library (207) 581-2500. You will be responsible for picking up and returning items to Media Services.
To reserve the North Pod(carpeted lounge area by the Marketplace seating) please contact Jodi Munster at 581.4724.
Dawn Taylor, 581-4718
Prices and availability of these services are always changing. Call for information on booking these rooms and ordering food or alcohol services through catering.
Hauck Auditorium, Minsky Recital Hall & the Pavillion Theater Reservations
Frederick “Birdie” Sawyer, 581-1781
Contact Birdie Sawyer for space availability, facility fees and policies. These spaces are consistently used by the School of Performing Arts and may not have a large number of available dates.
Campus Activities, 581-8325
All bonfire requests begin in the Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office with CASE staff. You must first come in, fill out a form which will include the date of event, time of event, location, how you will start the fire (plain wood, paper and matchsticks) and how you plan to extinguish it. You will then sign a waiver of responsibility and these will be faxed to the Orono Fire Department and Public Safety. You will be given a form to bring to the Orono Fire Department the day of the event and your ability to have a bonfire will be contingent upon Orono Fire Department’s decision.
Remember to notify the Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office several days in advance.
For more information stop by the Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office, 1st floor Memorial Union or call 581-8325.
Planning an Event
Here are some things you should do when you want to plan an event on Campus
Do you have a potential date and some back up dates?
- Did you determine a potential date (make sure to have a back up in case of conflicts)?
- Have you filled out an Event Management form? CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT OUR EVENT FORM
- Have you outlined a budget you will need for the event?
- If you need financial support you will want to submit a request to the Program Fund and/or UMSG, Inc.
- Reserved your event spaces?
- Secured co-sponsors and/or volunteers for the event? Co-sponsoring with a student organization or a department will help spread the work around, and get you the volunteers needed to get the job done.
- Developed a plan regarding the number of volunteers needed and what you would like them to do?
- Effectively advertised for your event/program? (Make sure your volunteers are aware of building posting policies)
- Looked over specific policies for your event?
- Hired a custodian for clean-up (if necessary)? Contact Facilities Management at 581-4400.
- Contacted the Electrical Shop if you need their services? Please call at least two weeks prior to your event.
- Rented tables, chairs, staging, lighting, sound, equipment, etc. (if needed)?
- Rented equipment from vendors (i.e. inflatables, dunk tank, etc.). Does that company carry liability insurance? (you need to make sure they do, ask for a copy of their certificate).
- Had contracts reviewed and signed by the Campus Activities and Student Engagement Office or Student Government
- Secured lodging, special meals, and transportation for the vendor/performer?
- Requested checks for the vendors/performers?
- Paid the royalties on the movie you will be using at your event?
- Ordered/bought decorations for your event?
- Written thank-you notes to volunteers?
Student Concerts and other Large Events Policy
- All student groups requesting space (indoor or outdoor) for entertainment purposes, guest speakers, or similar events, where a contract is executed in the amount of $2000 or more, or where the expected attendance is 600 or more, must secure in writing approval for the use of this space from the Director of the Campus Activities and Student Engagement office. This authorization must be received before any commitment, contractual or otherwise, may be made.
- The Department of Public Safety is responsible for the security at concerts and other large events and is therefore the lead agency in planning and supervising that security, Security hired by concert organizers and student security volunteers are responsible to the Department of Public Safety.
- University of Maine Public Safety will work with private security vendors to manage the audience in front of stages. “Mosh pits” are not allowed.
- Alcohol is not permitted at University student concerts or other such events.
- Carry-ins, including backpacks, are not allowed at concerts and other such outdoor events.
- Volume levels must be in compliance with municipal noise ordinance requirements. Concert planners are reminded that the stipulations of this ordinance change after 11:00 p.m. The ordinance is available in its entirety from the Office of Campus Activities.
- Attendance at events is restricted to individuals 18 years of age or older, or college students with their institutional state-issued I.D.
For more information contact the office of Campus Activities and Student Engagement (581-8325).
Classroom reservations can be made by contacting the e-mail below:
Showing a Film
To show a film for entertainment purposes on campus your group must obtain permission from the copyright owner or obtain a license. By renting your movie from SWANK Motion Pictures or a similar company who rents to college campuses you are buying the license to show the movie to a group. Federal Law prohibits the public showing of any copyrighted materials including movies you own or rent from retail vendors. Prices to rent a movie from SWANK ranges from $350-$800 depending on the movie’s release date and its popularity. Please visit the SWANK Motion Pictures website or call 1-800-876-3344 for more information.
For more information on copyright infringement, please click on the link.
Privately owned or rented movies still require the purchase of a copyright license.
Rooms may be reserved in the Memorial Union or in many classrooms to show a movie. Equipment to show a movie, such as TVs, LCD projectors, and DVD systems should be requested through AV Services in Shibles Hall.
Collins Center for the Arts & Bodwell Lounge Reservations
Stesha Cano, 581-3351
Groups & organizations may rent the Collins Center for the Arts for their event. For a list of fees and answers to specific questions, see or call Joe Cota at the CCA.
If your group wishes to use the Bodwell Lounge (3rd floor of CCA) they may do so at no charge during normal business hours. Evenings and weekends will incur a fee of $50.00 per 4-hour session and will require also paying an hourly rate for a CCA employee to be present in the building during the event. Visit the CCA website at http://www.collinscenterforthearts.com/
Phil Albert, 581-2664/2663
Need electrical power for an event? The electric shop can provide you with the following services:
- Electrician workers’ labor fee is $27/hour (subject to change).
- A generator- this is free of charge. There is a charge for the cost of fuel and for two workers to deliver and pick it up ($27/hr in labor charges).
- Free use of extension cords.
Electricity is available on the mall by South Stevens, Little Hall North End.
PLEASE CALL TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOUR ELECTRICAL NEEDS FOR AN EVENT.
Coca-Cola Campus Activation Fund
- Recognized or approved campus groups or organizations may request support from the Coca-Cola Activation Fund in the form of product, flyers or signage to help promote student-focused, university-sanctioned events. The event must be open to the general student body in order to be considered for support.
- Requests are reviewed by the Activation Fund Committee. Applications for support should be received a minimum of three (3) week s in advance, using the application below.
- Products cannot be resold.
- Campus groups or organizations must be in good standing with the University in order to apply for funding. Applications from individuals cannot be accepted.
- All unused product must be returned to the Coca-Cola distribution facility in Bangor within 48 hours of the conclusion of the event, or call 942-5546 to arrange pick-up.
- In some instances, the entire product request may not be granted. Approved groups may purchase the balance of their request at a reduced rate (subject to availability).
Campus Activation Fund Application
To request product or for more information, please contact Andrea Gifford (email@example.com)
- Program Fund
- Student Government, Inc.
Andrea Gifford, Andrea Gifford, Assistant Dean and Director of Student and Administrative Support Services, 581-1406
The Program Fund Committee provides funds for recognized student groups to sponsor campus-wide events and programs. If your group has an idea for an event but lack the money to put it on then these funds are for you! More than $40,000 is available for program expenses such as speakers, film rental, bands and musicians, promotion and advertising costs. In addition $23,000 is available to groups to cover 80% of the expenses associated with set-up costs provided by University employees and for campus facility rental. Groups must apply for these funds prior to their event and present their application to the Program Fund Committee at one of their meetings.
Applications are due one day prior to the committee’s meeting and can be picked up at the Division of Student Affairs Office.
For paper copies of this application and for more information see Andrea in the Student Affairs Office, 3rd Floor, Memorial Union.