Are you looking to reach the UMaine student population? Want to reach Memorial Union visitors and patrons? Would your department like to advertise with us? We have options for your office that will help you reach the campus!
News Flush Formatting:
The News Flush will now be a monthly publication. When you submit an ad for an event you’d like to be featured in the News Flush, we now ask you to submit a concise-as-possible blurb about the event. Omit needless words.
If you aren’t particular on a graphic, we’d be happy to take the text you submit and make it look aesthetically pleasing and fitting for the Flush!
If you are particular about making your own graphic, you’re welcome to submit one:
- The size should be roughly 1.5″x2″ portrait
- .pdf or .png is preferred. If you can send an .ai or .psd file, that would allow the designer to tailor it to fit the calendar exactly — if you can do this, this will provide a more streamlined look.
- Please keep in mind that this will print as 1.5″x2″, so make the important info big and legible!
News Flush Deadlines:
Please submit your information/ad no later than the 24th of the prior month.
For example: we will be implementing this monthly design starting October, so that means if you have an event you would like to advertise for October, please submit it by Monday, September 24th. For example, for November’s News Flush, please submit November ads by Wednesday, October 24th.
You can email Arthur Hubbard or fill out this form: http://bit.ly/newsflush
CASE Social Media:
You are still welcome to submit more traditionally sized ads like previous ones, and we can post those on CASE’s Facebook and Instagram page. Good standards for best viewing is portrait 8.5″x11″ for Facebook, and a square for Instagram that is at least 1080px by 1080px.
Email info to: Arthur Hubbard
Memorial Union Electronic Boards
There are televisions throughout the Memorial Union that act as electronic advertisements. Submit these requests to Kenda Scheele. Advertisements must be landscape orientation and jpeg files.
Residence Hall Posting Policy
University departments and campus student organizations may submit signs or posters to be posted in the residence halls and villages by dropping off materials to the Office of Residence Life, 3rd floor Memorial Union. Non-University sponsored events may not be posted within the residence halls and villages.
Please follow these guidelines for posting materials:
- All materials must include specific times and dates of the event and phone number of a contact person(s).
- Please allow staff up to 72 hours to post your materials. Local restaurants providing delivery service to campus residence halls and villages may distribute delivery menus to resident students through the Office of Residence Life. Menus will be placed in lobbies for access to students. NO door-to-door sales, solicitation or posting is allowed, with the following exception: Student Election Candidates – Candidates for Student Senate and the Residence Hall Association may apply for a permit for the candidate and one resident student escort to campaign door-to-door. Persons in the hall without appropriate reason and posting signs may be considered trespassing. Persons who do not follow the above guidelines may jeopardize future access to posting in residence halls and villages.
Tips for advertising:
- Sidewalk Chalking can only be done on sidewalk areas throughout campus.
- Banner in the Atrium, call 581-1760 or stop by the Info Booth for clearance. Groups are responsible for creating their own banner.
- Announce it in class (with your professor’s permission), bring flyers to class, or write the info in the corner of the chalk boards.
- Take out an advertisement in the student newspaper, The Maine Campus. For costs, please contact The Maine Campus.
- List your upcoming event in the Maine Campus Community Calendar for free. For more info contact The Maine Campus.
- Reserve a table to sit at in the Union, call 581-1406 or stop by 315 Memorial Union for more information or to sign up.
- Hand out flyers. (Using unusual colors or sizes of paper catches people’s attention.)
- Post on the Bulletin Boards in the Union, outside the Union, Library, Classrooms. Please see campus posting policy for guidelines.
- Public bulletin board locations:Neville hall (cork board), Lord Hall (cork board), Shibles Hall (cork board), Little Hall (cork board), Barrows Hall, Bennett Hall, & Library
- WMEB, the UMaine radio station, does Campus Announcements, call the Music Office 581-4341. WMEB also does remote location broadcasting.
- Word of mouth: Your own excitement may be the best publicity for your event!
- Contests and giveaways will attract people to your event, be sure to include this information on all posters/flyers/etc…
- Utilize a variety of methods when advertising. Posters may reach the biggest audience, but using other kinds of advertising will make your event stand out.
- What should you include in ALL of you advertising? Event title, date, time, location, admission costs, contact information, sponsor(s) name, and a brief description of the event.