Call For Artists
Application Deadline: December 31, 2021
Project: Design a banner to showcase Campus Recreation’s statement for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for the New Balance Recreation Center and/or Maine Bound Adventure Center. The winning artists will have their work on display at the Maine Bound Adventure Center and New Balance Recreation Center for years to come.
Project Background: Campus Recreation recently updated our statement for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. We currently have a banner that showcases our old statement. The Campus Recreation Equitable Action Committee is seeking artists to submit designs for new banners that highlight our values.
Statement for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: “We celebrate human differences and are dedicated to providing inclusive spaces and programs that are accessible to all. Any expression of bigotry, hatred, prejudice, or disrespect is inconsistent with the ideals of preserving equity, diversity, and inclusion, and contradicts the values promoted by the University of Maine and our staff.”
Project Guidelines: We are accepting designs for two different banners, one for the New Balance Recreation Center and one for Maine Bound Adventure Center.
- Artists can be anyone from the UMaine Community, students, alumni, faculty, staff, or local artists
- Submissions should be submitted in a JPEG, PNG, or PDF format.
- All designs must be original works by the artist.
- Final design will be printed professionally, on vinyl.
- The statement should appear, in some form, within the design.
- Each artist can submit 2 designs.
Maine Bound Adventure Center Banner:
- The finished banner will measure 72 inches x 36 inches and will hang horizontally.
- The banner design should be unique to Maine Bound Adventure Center and feature aspects of our program. Ideas could include outdoor sports, connection to place, the Maine Outdoors etc.
New Balance Recreation Center Banner:
- The finished banner will measure 48 inches x 150 inches and will hang horizontally.
- The banner design should be unique to the New Balance Recreation Center and feature aspects of our program. Ideas could include team sports, healthy living, physical fitness, building community etc.
Selection Criteria: The chosen design will:
- Embrace the values of the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
- Engage a wide range of community members
- Contribute to maintaining an equitable, diverse, and inclusive community
- Celebrate the atmosphere and/or programs of the Maine Bound Adventure Center or the New Balance Recreation Center
- Include the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
- Exhibit creativity
The winning artists will each receive a $100 cash reward and have their work on display at the Maine Bound Adventure Center and New Balance Recreation Center for years to come. The Banners will include a plaque, hung near the banner, that features the Artist. The artists and their designs will be featured on Campus Recreation’s social media networks.
Responsibility of Selected Artists:
- Artists will need to submit final designs in high quality.
- Artists may need to provide copies of original files to our design team.
- If photographs of people are included the artist may need to provide contact information so that the university can obtain photo release forms.
- Artists will need to approve the layout of their artwork on the banner.
- Must be received by October 31, 2021.
- Direct all questions and submit designs to: Beth Jackson, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions must include:
- Artist’s Statement – a short description of the work or works submitted
- Each image should be labeled with the Artist’s last name and MBAC for Maine Bound Adventure Center or NBRC for New Balance Recreation Center. Example: FirstName LastName, NBRC
Timeline: Selected artists will be notified by December 1, 2021.
Call For Artists Application Format: Send an email to email@example.com with the following information: Name, University Affiliation, Email Address, Phone Number, Submissions (formatted as described above), and Artist Statement.
Terms & Conditions: The University of Maine shall own the rights to the final images.