Cable Set Up Guide
How do I connect my Television?
When you move into your room you should find a wall plate that has two network jacks (for your computers) and one CATV jack.
- You will need a cable jumper to connect from the wall jack to your television or additional video equipment (DVD or Blu-ray player, game deck, etc). If you didn’t bring one with you, they are available at a discount price through UMaine’s bookstore at the Memorial Union.
- Plug the cable jumper from the wall jack to the back of your television.
- Turn on your television and check for service between Channels 2 and 13.
- If there are no pictures then go back through and double check the first steps
- If still no pictures connect the cable jumper directly to your television (to bypass any additional equipment).
- Most televisions will return to a factory set-up after power has been removed (unplugged to travel to school). To get service above channel 13 you must:
- Through the “menu” you go to the “channel set-up” selection and insure you are in the “cable” or “CATV” mode; “antenna” or “air” mode will not work when connected to any cable systems.
- Please note that the terms or menu selections are different on every different make/model of TV.
- In order to receive the full package of channels available you will need to go into your televisions options and run a channel scan. A remote control may be necessary to access your televisions menus. If you don’t own one or need batteries for one, they may be purchased at UMaine’s bookstore.
- Keep in mind that your channels 2 through 73 are standard definition and not of HD quality. If the picture is snowy or distorted you may call in for assistance from Technology Management at 207.581.4371.