Sport Business Summit
The purpose of the Maine Sport Business Summit is to educate, inspire, and engage students, the University of Maine Community, and the public on sport business topics.
WHEN: December 7, 2022, from 1-6 pm
WHERE: Donald P. Corbett Business Building at the University of Maine in Orono
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
- Networking: build connections with people of similar interest
- Learn from sport business professional
- It will be fun!
Sport Facility & Event Management (MGT 490) and Associate Professor Dr. Margaret C. Keiper
SCHEDULE & OUTLINE:
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Pre-event networking in DPC Atrium
2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.: Opening remarks
2:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.: Early Career Panel
3:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Break
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Sport Marketing Perspectives
4:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.: Break
4:45 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.: Keynote Panel: 50 Years of Title IX: Celebrating Women in Sport
5:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.: Closing remarks
Speakers from around the country and Maine will be discussing various sport business topics. The three topics, which will be covered in a panel format with three to four speakers, are:
Topic 1: Early Career in Sport Management
Time: 2:15 – 3:15 p.m.
Speakers for this topic are all in the first few years of their roles and will focus on steps that helped set them up for success, as well as challenges they may have faced in the sport industry.
- Panel Introduction: Dr. Jason Harkins, Interim Executive Dean, Maine Business School
- Moderator: Dr. Stefano Tijerina, Lecturer in Management, Maine Business School
- Panelist: Allison Casiles, Director of Promotions, Portland Sea Dogs
- Panelist: Alex Gorham, Internship Coordinator, Keene Swamp Bats
- Panelist: Edward (Matt) Youngblood, Director of Athletics Events, University of Maine
Topic 2: The Current State of Sport Marketing
Time: 3:30 – 4:40 p.m.
This panel will focus on specific roles in the sport marketing field and focus on some of the current landscape in sport marketing, sport development, and sport sales.
- Panel Introduction: Dr. Norm O’Reilly, Dean of the Graduate School of Business, University of Maine
- Moderator: Dr. Rusty Stough, Assistant Professor of Marketing, Maine Business School
- Panelist: Travis Misner, Corporate Partnership and Sales Executive, Carolina Panthers & Charlotte FC
- Panelist: Sheila Brennan Nee, Director, Maine Sports Commission
- Panelist: Logan Desmond, Interim Associate AD for Internal Operations, University of Maine
Topic 3/Key Note Panel: 50 Years of Title IX: Celebrating Women in Sport
This panel will focus on the past, present, and future of women in sport with a specified emphasis on opportunities, challenges, and advocacy
Time: 4:45 – 5: 45 p.m.
- Panel Introduction: Dr. Robert Dana, Dean of Students, University of Maine
- Moderator: Samantha Hegmann, Interim Athletic Director, University of Maine
- Panelist: Clara Brown, Road & Track Cycling Paralympian, Team USA
- Panelist: Ann Maxim: Director of Academic Support, University of Maine
- Panelist: Dr. Christopher Parker, President and CEO, NJCAA