Norm O’Reilly, Ph.D.
Dr. Norm O’Reilly has expertise in a range of business topics, including analytics, marketing, sponsorship, social media, sport finance, social marketing, physical activity and management education. He has authored or co-authored 16 books, 14 case studies in the Harvard/Stanford series, and more than 145 peer-reviewed journal articles.
He is recognized as one of the leading scholars in the business of sports. In 2018, while at the Lang School of Business & Economics at the University of Guelph, he founded the International Institute for Sport Business & Leadership, a think-tank devoted to improving the sport business globally. From 2014 to 2018, he held the Richard P. and Joan S. Fox Professor of Business and was Chair of the Department of Sports Administration at Ohio University’s College of Business. He has also taught at the University of Ottawa, Syracuse University, Stanford University, Laurentian University, Ryerson University, Athabasca University, Bayreuth University, and the Russian International Olympic University.
Dr. O’Reilly’s CV
- Ph.D., Management & Marketing, Sprott School of Business at Carleton University, 2007
- MBA, Marketing, Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa, 2000
- MA, Sports Administration, School of Human Kinetics at the University of Ottawa, 1998
- B.Sc., Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, 1997
CPA/CGA – Chartered Professional Accountant, 2009
- Sport Management
- Sport Business
- Marketing Analytics
- Social Media Marketing
- Professional Sport Finance
- Tourism Marketing
- Management Education
- 2017 – Ohio University Research Impact Award: Recognition of Impact of Research on Industry and External Parties over past 5 years
- 2015 – American Marketing Association’s Sports and Special Events Marketing Special Interest Group, Distinguished Career Contribution Award
- 2015 – Inducted into the Lindsay Sports Hall of Fame, October 2015, Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
- 2013 – Named one of the “Five to Watch” (under 40 award) in Sport Business by the Globe & Mail, TSN and others
- 2012 – North American Society for Sport Management Research Fellow (lifetime)
- 2011 – University of Ottawa – Media Excellence Award – recognized as the professor with the most influential media impact in 2010-2011
Organization Involvement: Boards of Directors
- Business of Hockey Institute (BHI), Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada, 2014-2020
- Canadian Paralympic Committee, 2013-2019
- Sponsorship Marketing Council of Canada, 2007-Present
- ParticipACTION, 2014-Present
- Canadian Women & Sport 2019-Present
- Canadian Olympic Committee, 1998-2010
See more…separate page for BOD and volunteer work
Sports Business Journal Articles
O’Reilly, N., Seguin, B., Abeza, G., & Narraine, M. (2022, in press). “Sport Marketing: A Canadian Perspective: 3rd Edition”, Human Kinetics Books, Canada.
O’Reilly, N., Abeza, G., & Harrison, M. (2021). “Sport Sponsorship Insights”, Routledge.
O’Reilly, N. & Burton, R. (2021, in press). “Business the NHL Way: A Business Playbook from the Fastest Game on Ice”, University of Toronto Press, Canada.
Burton, R., O’Reilly, N., Hirsham, J, Dolich, A., & Lawrence, H. (2021). “The 20 Secrets of Success for a Student-Athlete”, 2nd Edition, Ohio University Press, Athens, USA.
Abeza, G., O’Reilly, N., Sanderson, J. & Fredrick, E. (2021). “Contemporary Issues in Social Media in Sport”, World Science Publishing, Singapore.
Book Chapters or Contributions
Savage, N. & O’Reilly, N. (2021). “Converting Traditional Cycling to a Virtual Platform”, in Handbook of Research on Pathways and Opportunities Into the Business of Esports, IGI Publishing.
O’Reilly, N. (2021). “Sponsorship Evaluation”, Sage Encyclopedia of Sport Management, Paul Pedersen, Editor.
O’Reilly, N. (2020, in press). “Measuring the Impact of your Event: Financial and Non-Financial Assessment”: in Lawrence & Wells, Event Management Blueprint: Creating and Managing Successful Sports Events, 2nd Edition, Kendall Hunt.
O’Reilly, N., & Abeza, G. (2020, In Press). The impact of Covid-19 on sport sponsorship: The views of industry professionals. In P. M. Pedersen, B. J. Ruihley, & B. Li (Eds.), Sport and the pandemic: Perspectives on Covid-19’s impact on the sport industry (pp. TBD). London: Routledge.
O’Reilly, N. (2020, in press). “Ownership and Professional Sport Leagues”, in Routledge Handbook of Sport Governance, David Shilbury and Lesley Ferkins, Editors.
Foster, G., O’Reilly, N., & Naidu, Z. (2021). Playing-Side Analytics in Team Sports: Multiple Directions, Opportunities, and Challenges. Front. Sports Act. Living 3:671601. doi: 10.3389/fspor.2021.671601
Finch, D., Abeza, G., O’Reilly, D., & Mikkelson, A. (in press). “Esport Sponsorship: Practitioners’ Perspectives on Emerging Trends.” Journal of Brand Strategy.
Berdnikov, M., O’Reilly, N., & Abeza, G. (2021, in press). Exploring the involvement of athletes in influencing a host country’s image via social media: the case of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing.
Moore, S.A., Faulkner, G., Rhodes, R.E., Brussoni, M., Chulak-Bozzer, T., Ferguson, L.J., Mitra, R., O’Reilly, N., Spence, J.C., Vanderloo, L.M., & Tremblay, M.S. (2020). “Impact of the COVID-19 virus outbreak on movement and play behaviours of Canadian children and youth: a national survey”, International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 17(85), DOI: 10.1186/s12966-020-00987-8
Wegner, C., Lawrence-Benedict, H.J., Jordan, J.S., & O’Reilly N. (2020). “Commercialized Fitness Clubs: Gender and Competitive Athletic Identities”, International Journal of Sport Management, 20, 151-173.
See all peer-reviewed journals…