Dr. Patti Miles, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Management
Dr. Miles received her Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Arlington in Operations and Supply Chain Management in 2008, and her Masters degree in Management from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1992. Prior to completing her PhD, she spent 25 years in the United States Army as a logistics officer. During her tenure as an Army Logistics Officer, she participated in the planning and execution of countless missions in support of both Global Wars on terrorism (Afganistan and Iraq). As such, she has moved everything from ice to trash, tanks to fuel and people to boxes around the world; via ship, cargo plane, pipeline, railroad and truck. Her experience is robust and certainly reflected in her research. She is keenly interested in ‘the greater good’, pursuing research that examines corporate accountability, the costs of efficiency, and, more recently, corporate taxes and executive compensation. She accomplishes research with the tenacity of an Army officer and the breadth of a scholar.
Office: Room 335, 5723 DP Corbett Business Building
Ph.D. 2008, The University of Texas at Arlington
Masters of Management 1990, The Georgia Institute of Technology: Operations Management
Bachelors of Science Fall 1993, Weber University: Psychology and Military Science
Intellectual Contributions (Full Curriculum Vitae)
Refereed Research Publications: 256 citations, H-index: 7; i10-index: 6
- Ledford, A., Dixon, D., Luning, C., Miles, P., Martin, B., & Beckner, M. (2020) Psychological and Physiological Predictors of Resilience in Navy SEAL Training, published in Behavioral Medicine, Volume 46 Issue 3-4,
- Miles, P., Peterson, M., Bement, D., & Miles, G.(2018) Higher Education: Exploring Productivity Over Time. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 10(4): 534-546.
- Miles, P. & Miles, G. (2015). Disentangling the Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance Relationship: Examining the Mediating Role of Productivity. In Warkentin, M. (ed.) Trends and Research in the Decision Sciences: Best Papers from the 2014 Annual Conference. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson FT Press
- Miles, P. & House, D. (2015). The Tail Wagging the Dog; An Overdue Examination of Student Teaching Evaluations. International Journal of Higher Education,4(2): 116-126 (11 Citations)
- Zhang, G., & Smith, S. Miles, P., (2014) Content and Design and Trends of Chinese Corporations Homepages. InternationalJournal of Electronic Business,11(2), 153-175. (3 Citations)
- Miles, P. & Erhardt, N. (2014). Top Management Diversity is Good for Business: Exploring the Mediating Role of CSR Measures. Journal of Business and Economics, 5(4): 449-461.(3 Citations)
- Miles, P. (2013). Why Do Educated, Successful Women Leave The Workforce? American International Journal of Social Science, 2(2): 15-19. (2 Citations)
- Miles, P. (2013) Competitive Strategy: The link between Service Characteristics and Customer Satisfaction. Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 28 May 2013 (22 Citations)
- Miles, P., & Miles, G. (2013). Corporate Social Responsibility and Executive Compensation: Exploring the Link. Social Responsibility Journal, 9(1): 76-90. (32 Citations)
- Porter, T. & Miles, P. (2013). CSR Longevity: Evidence from Long-Term Practices in Large Corporations. Corporate Reputation and Review, 16(4): 313-330. (13 Citations)
- Porter, T. & Miles, P. (2011) Evidence from the CSR Halo. Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society. 22(287-299) (13 Citations)
- Zhang, G., & Smith, S. Miles, P., (2014) Content and Design and Trends of Chinese Corporations Homepages. InternationalJournal of Electronic Business,11(2), 153-175. (4 Citations)
- Zhang, G., & Miles, P., (2012). China Turns to Tweeting: Exploring the Problematic use of Tweeting in China. International Journal of Business and Social Science,3(7): 91-94 (16 Citations)
- Miles, P., Miles, G., & Cannon (2012) Servicescape and Customer Satisfaction: Exploring the Contingent Role of Business Strategy. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 32(7): 772-795.(61 Citations)
Research Under Review or Work in Progress
- Peterson, M. & Miles, P. Effects of Racing Surface and Turn Radius on Catastrophic Injuries to the Limbs of Througbred RaceHorses, Journal of Equine Veterinary Science (Under Review)
- Miles, P., Jurick, S. & Bement, D. CEO Pay and Employee Median Income: And exploration of the gap and productivity.
- Miles, P. & Miles, G. Where does all the money go: an inquiry into the cost of running a University. Journal of Higher Education. Working Paper
National Peer Reviewed Conference Papers: Presented 14 Empirical Research papers in 5 years
- Miles, P. & M. Peterson (2017) Productivity in higher education. Decisions Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Miles, P. (2015) Understanding Teaching evaluations. Decisions Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Miles, P. & Miles, G. (2015). Disentangling the Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance Relationship: Examining the Mediating Role of Productivity. Decisions Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Miles, P. & Miles (2014) Productivity: A Mediator of the relationship between CSR and Performance. Decisions Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Miles, P.C. (2013) How Does Course Type, Class Size, Professor Gender & Course GPA Impact Student Teaching Evaluations: A Statistical Inquiry. Academy of Management
- ¥Miles, P. & Erhardt, N. (2013) A statistical analysis of the impact of top management diversity and business performance.Decisions Sciences Institute
- ¥Miles, P. (2013) How Does Course Type, Class Size, Professor Gender & Course GPA Impact Student Teaching Evaluations: A Statistical Inquiry.Academy of Management
- Miles, P. & Miles, G. (2012) Exploring outcomes of sustainable firms: Executive compensation, taxes and economic performance. Academy of Management
- Miles, P. (2012) Does quality extend to corporate social performance? Decisions Sciences Institute
- Miles, P. (2012) Does the use of Clickers enhance classroom dynamics? Decisions Sciences Institute
- Miles, P., Miles, G., and Harkins, J. (2011) Structure, Strategy and Industry Performance: Exploring the Link. Decisions Sciences Institute
- Miles, P. & Miles, G. (2010) CEO Pay and CSR: Do Managers Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is? Decisions Sciences Institute
- Collett, P. & Miles, G. (2010) Closing the gap: As CEO pay and employee pay align, so does firm profitably, & productivity. IABS proceedings
- Collett, P. & Vollmers, G. (2010) Opportunistic Behavior in the Healthcare Industry: The Impact of Imperfect Market Conditions. IABS proceedings
- Collett, P. (2009) Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty: A function of Service Characteristics. Decisions Sciences Institute
- Collett, P. (2009) The Moderating Role of Strategy on the Relationship between Servicescape and Customer Satisfaction. Academy of Management
- Collett, P. & House, D. (2008) What do course evaluations tell us? Decisions Sciences Institute
- Collett, P. (2008) Porter’s Generic Competitive Strategies: an examination of service characteristics. Academy of Management
Professional Presentation and invited talks
- Invited by the Provost to speak at a faculty forum by Provost Jeffery Hecker about LEAP and the Foundational Competencies for the 21st
- Invited by Brian Doore to attend the Multi State Collaborative for NEASC accreditation.
- Invited Presentation: (March 2012) University of North Texas. Provided a complete presentation to the faculty and doctoral students on my work with executive compensation and taxes.
- Contacted by the New York Times journalist David Kocieniewski (awarded the Pulitzer Prize for explanatory journalism 2012) in reference to research on executive compensation and corporate taxes.
- Invited Presentation: (May 2010) WBRC Architects and Engineers. Provided a complete strategic analysis, presented to the CEO, CFO and COO.
- Invited Presentation: (November 2008) Televised Presentation about issues Women face in the workplace. Bangor Evening News for two nights.
Other Scholarly Activity
Cases written for teaching
- Miles, P. (2010) Closing the gap: Linking Strategic Capabilities with Actions. Local case Written and presented as a live case in BUA 649.
- Collett, P. (2009) The Family Doc: A Struggle against Health Insurance. Local Case, Written and presented and utilized as a live case in BUA 649.
- Collett, P. (2009) The Maine Business School. Written in conjunction with several other faculty members for use during residency week.
Reviews for Journals
- Cogent Business & Management (Jan 2018)
- Journal of Higher Education Research (2018)
- California Management Review (2017)
- California Management Review (2017)
- California Management Review (2016)
- Journal of Operations Management Research (2015)
- Management Research Review (2014)
- Healthcare Research Review (2013)
- South American Journal of Economics. (2013)